1998 Dodge 3500 chip truck Payload & towing capacity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 93 F450 I haul 8 yards chips and a 8,200 lb 18" vermeer chipper all the time.
In some states i would be legal in NJ I am not sure - The chipps weigh in around 4-6k depending on what type of tree so my 15k GVW is ok with only the chipps.I was told the weight of the trailer is only added to the GVW if it is over 10k so the 900 lbs of tongue weight would leave me in the clear...(I was told this by a DOT cop when I was pulled over with a 6500 GMC chip truck).

laws are screwwy though - 2015 F450 rated to pull 32,ooo lbs
2015 dodge rated to pull 30,000.
but I dont know how to do it legally - all these guys had was CDLs

I can plate my f-550 for 40,000 if I want. It's all in the licensing fees in Ohio. As long as I'm played for more than I weigh on the scales I'm fine. I'm only plated for 30,000 but that covers the truck with 15 yards of chips and my chipper. I used to haul a back hoe with a truck that was under cdl but was plated for 50,000 to cover the trailer and hoe. Was pulled over plenty in it but never got a weight ticket

I have a 2007 dodge 3500 chip truck. My bed hold 15 yards of chips. Chips weigh about 500 lbs per yard for softwood and about 600 to 700 lbs for hardwood. We fill that box to the brim everyday and tow a bc1000 behind it with no problems. I do eventually plan on adding some airbags to help with the weight, but the truck runs and pulls that weight like a champ. I was skeptical when I bought it, but after running that truck for several months now, I say go for it.[/QUOTE
Thank you treebilly...

Latest posts

Back