1998 Wood Chuck WC-12 main bearings or bent shaft ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborjockey

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
video below .... I have another in slow mooooo

My 1st chipper . Been waiting for this particular turd . Ford 300-6 not to rusted out . Im in hawaii and chippers are golden here . Twice the cost sometimes as shipping prices are heavy. $6k for this one
Anyways this guy sells me it after refurbishing it .......cosmetically . Runs sweet for sitting for 10 years . After an hour of chipping i noticed more vibration than at 1st . Second hour i shut off and added 10 pumps of grease to each carrier bearing on the drum ...... then an entire tube . I put 5 pumps each side that morning . Than i put another 1/2 tube when i reached home until grease was seen as it turned low RPM .
I removed the fan shroud as to watch the flywheel spin. It seems as though its wobbling left and right not so much up and down.

Id die if i replaced the bearings to find out the shafts not true . Do i set up some V-blocks and a dial indicator ? Am i tripping because theyre bullet prrof ?

How do i pull the pulley off the end of the shafts ?

Recently replaced my drum bearings on a Vermeer, about $400 each side.
If the run out is side to side my guess is the bearings are shot.
Anyway here is an old thread on your model.
Pay particular attention to the last post in this thread. Apparently the drum has a tapered shaft, like the Vermeer. DO NOT try to remove the flywheel with a pulley puller. A manual should explain how it's done. Check your in box for more info.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-which-is-better-greaseable-or-sealed.170476/

video below .... I have another in slow mooooo

My 1st chipper . Been waiting for this particular turd . Ford 300-6 not to rusted out . Im in hawaii and chippers are golden here . Twice the cost sometimes as shipping prices are heavy. $6k for this one
Anyways this guy sells me it after refurbishing it .......cosmetically . Runs sweet for sitting for 10 years . After an hour of chipping i noticed more vibration than at 1st . Second hour i shut off and added 10 pumps of grease to each carrier bearing on the drum ...... then an entire tube . I put 5 pumps each side that morning . Than i put another 1/2 tube when i reached home until grease was seen as it turned low RPM .
I removed the fan shroud as to watch the flywheel spin. It seems as though its wobbling left and right not so much up and down.

Id die if i replaced the bearings to find out the shafts not true . Do i set up some V-blocks and a dial indicator ? Am i tripping because theyre bullet prrof ?

How do i pull the pulley off the end of the shafts ?

Man do I feel your pain... I live in south Kona and saw the chipper on craigslist and spoke with the owner... That rough he mentioned to me that he fixes them and sells them... Any luck taking with him? Either way lipstick on a pig I say! Looks pretty and is that a drum or disc? I purchased a 2009 Altec Dc 1820 its huge.... I bought from Miami Fl. spent serious money on her... Went to hilo picked her up and she is missing parts off her. I have had the machine for 2 months... My point is simple... I have dealt with Altec (Supplier for Woodchuck Altec bought them years back) the parts are reasonable but try and find the main manufacturer for the part... Put it this way the parts are okay but double the price they give you because they use UPS and they kill us shipping things here.... I wish you luck but I would try the guy that sold you it but would understand if you are like me you want to do it yourself and make sure its done right... Keep in touch we are neighbors and again I feel your pain...

It could also be that the drum is out of balance. I would remove the drive belt and spin the drum by hand. Let it spin. If the drum rocks back and forth as its almost coming to stop, it could indicate that the drum is out of balance. It would have to be taken out and balanced.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Back