72 whisper chipper wc-12 or wc-8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdamaro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, Im looking for some advice as to why my old chipper will crank but wont start. 6cyl ford engine

I purchased it from some hoarder who bought it and let it sit for 4yrs. Supposedly it was owned by the local gas company then it was owned by the mayor who had it rebuilt prior to him buying it.

So what ive done so far is :

Removed the oil bath air filter to make way for a paper filter, removed the gas tank ( shot due to rust ) poured some marvel mystery oil down each cylinder, poured some seafoam down the carb, seafoam down the fuel pump, changed the fuel filter, changed oil and filter, changed the plugs, wires, coil, batt, batt wires, cleaned the cap and rotor, cleaned the points and greased the bearings.

Let that sit for about a week then put a new gas tank on and new fuel.

It cranks over all day and I can see that its getting fuel but it wont start even if I disconnect the gas line and just try using starter fluid.
While cranking itll kinda backfire outta the carb and spit air/fuel out and sometimes flames.
I know its getting spark cause ive tested that.
I checked the timing and it seems to be fine, I just turned it then put it back the way it was before.
Just cranks til the battery dies doesnt even sound like it wants to fire.

On another note I saw when I took the flywheel housing off that grease I had just put in was coming out in a glob behind where it looked like the bearings would be.
Is that another problem or is that normal, and If I run it like that will i have problems in the future?

Last edited:
While cranking itll kinda backfire outta the carb and spit air/fuel out and sometimes flames.
This sounds like wrong timing. Plug wires may have been out of order for the last guy too, which is why he gave up.
Also run a compression check to follow up the stuck valve suggestion.

Latest posts

Back