2 1/16" -- 52.4mm piston options for a Mac PM8200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking for possible options to replace the piston in my Mac PM8200. It's the last of the 82cc Macs and a departure from the previous design in that it uses a three piece crank with circlip style pin bosses for the piston vs. the earlier press fit pins..., which is why none of the other 82cc Mac pistons will work. NOS seems to be non-existent for these things and there weren't even that many PM8200's made, let alone spare parts for em (unless they're hidden in a warehouse somewhere). Production was pretty much at the end of the line for McCulloch as most folks remember McCulloch right about this time. Then it all went south shortly thereafter.

Anyway, any suggestions for 52.4mm piston solutions out there?

TIA in advance for any info or enlightenment.

I'm looking for possible options to replace the piston in my Mac PM8200. It's the last of the 82cc Macs and a departure from the previous design in that it uses a three piece crank with circlip style pin bosses for the piston vs. the earlier press fit pins..., which is why none of the other 82cc Mac pistons will work. NOS seems to be non-existent for these things and there weren't even that many PM8200's made, let alone spare parts for em (unless they're hidden in a warehouse somewhere). Production was pretty much at the end of the line for McCulloch as most folks remember McCulloch right about this time. Then it all went south shortly thereafter.

Anyway, any suggestions for 52.4mm piston solutions out there?

TIA in advance for any info or enlightenment.

Get your wallet out - https://www.m-and-d.com/MAC-300687.html Ron

M and D has had that pic up on their web site for years..., probably of the only 300687 they ever had. I think Mark H. may have been the person who actually bought it a couple of years ago. I've called them about it. They say they may be able to order one but need payment up front to maybe find one. Uhhh, no.

Interesting. I have had good experiences with M and D - if their website listed it in stock it has always been for me so far. Many times it will show the item but will show none in stock. Sorry, Pogo. I will keep looking. Ron

Not a problem, Ron. And I appreciate you keeping an eye out. You don't know how many times I've hit that link wishing there was a real piston at the other end of it! (I have it bookmarked - lol.) I've also read mixed reviews about M and D, but they were pleasant to deal with and up front about their payment requirements if I chose to take my chances ordering the piston. The real irony is that they're only 40 minutes from where I live and I'd have been there in a heartbeat if that rascal was actually sitting on a shelf.
The search continues but I haven't given up on possibly cleaning up the one I have. Problem now is getting the circlips out (or at least one) to remove the wrist pin so I can work on it. At least it takes the 87854 rings if I decide to put in new ones. Wonder if 12mm clips will work if I launch one of those into orbit...

Do you have a side view pic I have some 2 1/16 IIRC pistons don't know what they fit. I'll measure one tomorrow to be sure. Got them in a box of pistons I bought.
Shep

Thanks for the consideration. Here's a pic. (Notice the captive circlip with no apparent way to remove it.)

From the side view I would try one of my hook & pick set, or two at once. With two in the pin space a point may reach between circlip and groove in piston to get behind and ease out the clip. My set of 4 has staight, 90*, a kinda fish hook and an angled one. $7 Kobalt set @ Lowes if you don't have something like that. My $.02

May be a form of a spiral lock; Its got to come out somehow.
http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015/07/21/wrist-pin-locks-part-i/

Im wondering if you might find a piston in the Oleo Mac catalog? Oleo Mac was the Italian manufacturing association that evolved into Efco. OM was a subsidiary of Mac and may have had input on this engine? Try that Demetris (Greek) parts guy on ebay. He sells many different ring and piston sets on Ebay out of Greece.

Here is a link to Demetris on Ebay. If nothing else maybe he can point you to some other source for Mac or Oleo Mac. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Ring...ash=item27dc9d88b3:g:tfIAAMXQVT9SwCvm&vxp=mtr

The only other guy who wasnt mentioned for obscure Mac stuff was Calvin out of N Carolina. They were Mac dealers if I remember correctly. Mac 805, 8200 and Double Eagle 80 come up in the search. I dont have the contact info for Calvin right here in front of me, but maybe one of the other guys does?

Your going to have to pour over the books to find out what the alternatives are, that is if any exist. I remember looking for a Poulan 245a cylinder for months. Randys engine repair sent me a phone number one day to an old dealer in Tulsa and sure enough they had the part but like I said it took me months of emails, calls and asking all over.

IF you're trying to keep up with the circlips.
Put a plastic bag over the piston and bunch it up around the connecting rod.
just stab the pick through the bag to work the clip out.
You can pinch the bag to grab the clip, to hold it while you remove the bag.

But I **strongly** advise discarding the old clips.
I suspect the service manual would say to discard them.

Any (little) nick or scratch on them, is a stress raiser.
This can lead to a broken clip, inside the running engine.
I don't think that you'd want that to happen in a saw that's so difficult to find more parts for.

Whatever piston you install, You can cut a small groove to facilitate the next circlip removal.

Back