2-26-98 Terex High Ranger XT-5 52 FT TOO OLD TO BUY???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexTreeService

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wondering what the lifespan of a Terex is? Inspection, timeline? Last inspection was spring of 2013. Assuming they sold it because it didn't pass inspection? It's a used Davey truck, a Ford F700 with the 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed manual trans, 108,000 mi., 11' arbor dump body with the pole pruner bins, tool bins on the side and head rack.

Not to old for me... how many hours? If you want it have it inspected. ..

Life span is related to use not age. Most the Davey's stuff is pretty hammered. XT5 is a pretty good boom. 100 kmiles on that Cummins is a lot. Chances are good its worn out.

It has a new engine according to my local guy (dealer). Evidence to support that: like new block paint (my first question was it pressure washed..), blue valve cover and oil pan, new silicone sealant oozing at a few abutments, new coolant overflow reservoir, factory 110V block heater was unplugged from the block and just dangling there (like the block was removed, but that was not reconnected). The most important sign..., it starts right up, idles perfect, no valve noise, and is very peppy, much more so that my '94 with 95,000.

Life span is related to use not age. Most the Davey's stuff is pretty hammered. XT5 is a pretty good boom. 100 kmiles on that Cummins is a lot. Chances are good its worn out.

100k on a 6BT would take some super extreme conditions to have it worn out. I've seen these motors go for 500,000 miles in similar trucks.

Yea 100k on a 6bt cummins is nothing. Even if its been hammered on u should get 300k on it. Theyre rated for more than that between rebuilds.

Yea 100k on a 6bt cummins is nothing. Even if its been hammered on u should get 300k on it. Theyre rated for more than that between rebuilds.
So how many hours you figure a bucket truck will have at 100k miles?

Depends on if it uses a pto driven boom or not, rural or city driving, but id say 4000 or so. The 6bt is rated for a minimum 6000 hour service life and many see 10k hours before a rebuild. It all depends on maintenance.

Your average bucket truck I would say will atleast get 4 hrs of use per day. 5 Days a week. That's 20 hrs aweek. If you work 30 weeks out of the year that's 600 hrs per year.
1998 thru 2012 is 15 years and roughly 7500 hrs. That would be a low estimate in my mind. Regardless of mileage.

I've got an 01 Altec with just over 40k miles, but I would estimate my hours at like 15-20k. I just had to do a rebuild about a Month ago.

We run the same truck motor/trans combo in a '95 f700. Best truck ever with 158K miles and still runnin like a beast

Already bought it, boom passed inspection fine at our utility maintenance company today. Can't wait to use the Terex XT5, should be a good stout boom. Need to fill gel coat nicks to prevent water freeze/thaw damage this winter. New engine, so now I have a ton of work to make it what I want. LED tails/markers (people obey when you put your blinker on), urethane box coat inside, ladder racks on the box, extra tool boxes, torch and grind head rack railing cause it just hits stuff, plywood brackets and straps, winch on front, arbor trolley locking mount and more. Then a final shot of lime green to baptize it of the dark green/yellow colors.

57 foot working height is perfect for a hedge? I do get lots of bush and trim so this will be perfect! Whatever you say used car salesmam.

U ****ers are wanna be know nothing buy the piece of **** an run it in the ground
What's that shawn? Certified Arborist, Certified Tree Climber, Tree Risk Assessment Qualification, Certified Tree Feller, Certified Wild Land Fire Fighter. Isn't that as far as you can go as a tree-tard??? Seriously, you don't take this tree cutting stuff seriously do you? You #ucking loser.

Wow a ****ing fire fighter if u knew the answer to the question already why ask mr know it all:ices_rofl:

Back