2-26-98 Terex High Ranger XT-5 52 FT TOO OLD TO BUY???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexTreeService

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wondering what the lifespan of a Terex is? Inspection, timeline? Last inspection was spring of 2013. Assuming they sold it because it didn't pass inspection? It's a used Davey truck, a Ford F700 with the 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed manual trans, 108,000 mi., 11' arbor dump body with the pole pruner bins, tool bins on the side and head rack.

Depends on its current condition. It's not like the thing is an antique yet. It might not have failed an inspection but who knows? Lots of larger companies upgrade their equipment when it hits a certain age, milage, number of hours or whatever reguardless if something is wrong with it or not. Sometimes for liabitly reasons, average maintaince costs, or expected down times with aging equipment. Have someone go over it before you buy it if your concerned. I'd feel safe in it if it was properly inspected.

What if it's only $12,900 though?? Boom looks great, with a new engine, claims my guy who buys and sales them. Evidence to prove that: clean block paint, new radiator overflow tank, winter diesel block plug unpluged (at the block), fresh rtv silicone on radiator block fittings, and peppier than my old 5.9L Cummins 12V I have to compare it to. Negatives..., weak brakes need servicing, power steering making noise (low fluid maybe), and needs cosmetic band aids before painting.

If you think it's a deal buy it. Maintaince on larger trucks like that gets expensive, even when doing everything yourself. Parts alone are not cheap, and ridiculous if anything on the boom needs work. I'd have it inspected by someone other than the guy selling it to you if you don't know what your looking at.

Just be careful, another guy on here bought a boom that had cracks filled with silicone and painted over.

Well decided to pick it up. $12,900 + tax. Made some calls on the boom. Safety recall on lower boom cracks in the steel. Terex will reinforce for free, or pay for certified welder. Arranged that. One hose need replacing due to sun scald and cracking. Bucket leveling system needs removal and inspection (2-4000?). Also need to gel coat the upper boom to pass with my local shop. Said moisture gets into the laminates at chink spots and causes de-lamination. Terex said it's a very tough boom, and with annual inspection it will last however long I maintain it. New engine in the truck, and after I get done welding, adding boxes, and updating to L.E.D.s and strobes, brakes, urethane linings, and all new paint I think I have a decade of profit. Anyone else love the Hi-Rangers?

I'll post finished pics.

Latest posts

Back