2-4-D Amine and pine trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Will 2-4-D Amine kill mature(20') tall pines? I need to spray my yard for weeds and I dont want to kill my trees. I read the label and couldn't find anything that said it would but it did list some hardwoods that it would harm so I just want to be sure.

If you are applying to the lawn and in accordance with the label, you should not have any problems. 2,4D is a selective herbicide designed to kill broadleaf weeds but not the turf, It will kill certain hardwoods in seedling form, but is not meant to kill any mature trees. It's a turf spray. It's been around for years and is generally considered safe to use in accordance to the label.

Be very careful around grape vines with 2 4 D. The vapor drift alone is enough to kill them.

Will 2-4-D Amine kill mature(20') tall pines? I need to spray my yard for weeds and I dont want to kill my trees. I read the label and couldn't find anything that said it would but it did list some hardwoods that it would harm so I just want to be sure.

Most herbicide labels - including pretty much every 2,4-D label I've ever read - say to stay outside of the drip line of the tree and not to spray exposed roots. Given the wide and shallow root system of most conifers that can be a little tricky but nonetheless that's what the labels say. That being said, it's probably not going to kill an established tree as long as you're using the label rates. Amine formulations are relatively stable in that they won't volatilize like an ester formulation. You have to be extremely careful with esters around trees and ornamentals especially if it's sunny and warm.

Back