2 arborists, 2 VERY different opinions. HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
try show the trees site and the areas of concern
zhugd.jpg

zhuht.jpg

zhujh.jpg

Agree with above. The first guy was an ignorant fearmonger and the second was a treehuggin hippie. Well not quite but inspecting the base is important.

So is not jumping to conclusions like the $8000 man did. His condemnation based on sounding earned him a call to Hartford to see what the state folks think about his effort to deforest CT.

If you paid nothing for these visits, you got less than you paid for from the first, and made up a little of that loss with the second.

View attachment 187533

Its a post like this that leaves home owners without any insight regarding the "real" issues she is wanting answered, 1st off a guy with a hammer who doesnt go aloft shouldnt even be providing a risk assessment & this is going to be the problem with easily obtained Certs regarding Non- climbers!

2nd I doubt the first guy was intentionally fearmongering & prolly was just applying what he learned, just a shame his skill is limited by only looking at the base & providing inspection from ground only & 3rd the second guy was not a tree huggin hippie.......he was providing a proper, in depth inspection & was the right way to do it!!!!!!(as long as it was spike free)

Treemama............I would suggest a resistograph reading of the base, if these trees hold sentimental value/historic value then this would provide a very accurate picture & give ya an idea of how to be proactive instead of reactive! the need for calling & complaining about an Arb & deforestation is un called for & just a waste of your time. There are many new tools out that will let ya look at the interior aspects of the tree...utilize this course of action first for a "real" diagnosis.

Best advice I can give, call your local college/Co-op that deals with trees, plants, shrubs, etc.. & ask if they would be interested in examining your tree, I have done this through Penn state many times, its FREE & is considered part of the lab section for the students.............they get credit, you get a service overseen by a professor of the field for free & when all is done they will provide you a very indepth, detailed report!!

Now most Arbs/tree services dont like this cause it takes that consulting fee outta their pocket & possible work? However I find this service very helpful & in the end the customers always recommend me & have me provide their tree/shrub care needs when necessary!

Good luck

LXT................

Last edited:
Last week, The mayor of a local town asked me to provide a risk assessment concerning 54 poplars that had been topped off 15 years ago (big job: 70ft, fence on each side, road, power lines, bus stop, traffic lights...). Told me the local gardener tried the hammer test and said they were dangerous. They wanted an official document from a certified arborist. In this case, the gardener was right. Nevertheless, I don't really trust the hammer test. Went there with my increment core borer. Took me only a few minutes to sample a few random trees. With the cores, no question asked: you know exactly how the inside of the tree is.
Conclusion: get someone to core those trees (makes a tiny hole that cures quickly). It's quick and, reliable.
BTW not sure I would trust that first arborist (although it's impossible to tell without seeing the trees)...

Latest posts

Back