2 Questions on tuning Stihls...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, I have two saws with different problems, and now I have a tach, so I wanted to check that I have this right:

1. MS200T nearly cuts out (seems flooding after a cut). I need to blip the throttle to bring it back to life. All I have to do is adjust the max speed with the H adjuster, to the specified speed? Filter is clean. I will take of the spark arrester before doing anything else.

2. MS260 nearly cuts out when I pick it up off the floor, I assume this is too rich at idle, and I need to adjust the L screw leaner?

Thanks,

DeanB

I would reset each of the carbs back to the "Basic" position. This is usually one turn out from a lightly seated position, for both the H and L. Once you have them at that position then start adjusting the carb with the tach.

If you have limiter caps on then ignore the above and set to recommended RPM's, unless you plan on taking the caps off and putting new ones on after you re-adjust.

Don't just assume it needs to go leaner. It could be other issues, such as bad lines, clogged fuel filter, air leak or carb rebuild time too. To just lean it out or continue to richen it, may make it run better but isn't really fixing the problem and may cause a really expensive problem. Start with the basic setting and work out from there. If it needs to be adjusted way off from the basic setting there is probably another issue.

Tom

Ok thanks. You're the second person who warned me about the stops. What's the deal with this? What do they do and what happens when you remove them, can you adjust too far or something?

Back