2011 stihl ms 290 max rpm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayenne

Reaction score
a quick question for those in the know. I have been cleaning up a ms 290 and checking the settings. My tach says the saw is idling at 3-4k rpms and is between 13.6-14k rpms at wot. The owners manual for the saw, also from 2011 (copyright), lists 2800 and 13,500 rpms. It lists the ms 310, 390 at a max of 13,000. Every source I can find, aside from the printed manual in my possession, says the max is 12,500 for the ms 290. Was there a known misprint in the manual for that year? Did the saw have a different build for that year?

Thank you,

Kevin

Xxxx was what was listed in the shop manual last time I checked. It was a year ago though.

Edit because I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just posting a follow up in case it can help someone else out. I received a reply from Stihl below.

Dear Mr. Xxxx,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email. That model saw used two different model carburetors, and depending on which one you have, gives different top end ratings. If you have a HD-18B, 12,500 should be the top, and if you have a HD-18C, 13,500 should be the top. Idle for both should be at 2,800.

Thank you again for contacting STIHL.

Best regards,

Trey Vickery

Technical Service Representative

STIHL Inc.

If you have a HD-18B, 12,500 should be the top, and if you have a HD-18C, 13,500 should be the top. Idle for both should be at 2,800.
That is interesting. As best I can tell, the only different part in the IPLs for the 18B and 18C is the throttle plate. What is especially strange is that the same part number is used for the entire carb even though they seem to have different internals.

Latest posts

Back