Tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg85

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I had been reading several threads on here as I got more and more into saws and have finally joined!

I run Stihl MS 261c saws at work. Granted, Stihl is a premier brand, and this particular model a professional series saw, I have not been impressed with them on all levels. I will admit, the saws can standup to an all day beating. I recently ran a Stihl 026 and felt that saw was much better. More details on this later perhaps.

Well, the Stihls are not my personally owned saws and not always available when needed so one particular day I decided to bring my own personal saw to work. That day, I brought a Homelite XL-123. For the record, I own 2 other Homelite Super Ez's, CS-670, a Husquvarna 455, and 2 Poulan 2150s. These aren't monster saws...but fine for the work around the house. What I sometimes encounter at work is another story.

One of my Poulan 2150s was given to me, I had gone through it and now runs great. I picked up another 2150 off of craigslist for $20, this one a year or two newer as I noted some minor differences. This cheap saw I consider my "beater", and carry it to work as a backup saw for clearing small/medium stuff if need be.

The Poulan I picked up did fire up and run, but it stalled every-time I turned the saw to its side or to its side and back again. I didn't think fuel was pooling in the crankcase (factory limiters still on) and suspected an airleak. When I got the time I went through this one. I replaced all the fuel lines, I pulled the jug and sonic cleaned it, RTVed the base gasket, cleaned the piston, sonic cleaned the sparkplug and carburetor, cleaned up all carb gasket surfaces...just went through every bit of it in detail, etc. I did, however, on this saw, measure the exhaust port with spaghetti and opened up the muffler 80%. I removed the limiter caps and went to try the saw. The stalling issue is now gone.

Well...after the muffler job this saw now came to life and I'm actually somewhat impressed with it. I read different things as to whether it's 34cc or 42cc (2.1ci)...it appears the same piston and jug are used on various models and perhaps* the crank differs to vary stroke - the emissions label says its 36cc, the "new" 2150 / 3816 model is 38cc..., online diagrams say 42cc - I guess it doesn't matter, all the engines are probably the same it's just a gimmick. But...for a tiny motor whatever it be, it performs now. I got 150psi on the engine (with light oil) before removing all carbon. My other 2150 came in at 130psi, this one the same after break in with no oil.

My big question is...right now I am running the saw a little fat. I found that if I lean the saw out, 1/2 turn on the H screw, it still four strokes at WOT and cleans up in the cut. 1/2 richer, it four strokes at WOT and also cleans up in the cut. However, it cuts nearly twice as fast with a leaner setting. I must be gaining a couple thousand RPMs. Now, from what I understand, using a tach to tune the saw just ballparks it and after a muffler job the max RPM rating sort of goes out the window. I know what running a saw lean sounds like and what will happen, and also rich. For the longevity of the saw, running it a little fat is probably best...but, if I lean the saw out...essentially to where it cuts the fastest but does not scream and stills four-strokes when lifting in the cut...can I still be too lean? Guys who race saws probably run their saws right on the edge, but only cut a couple cookies. How do I go about finding the perfect balance between power/speed and running the saw just rich enough not to cook it as a working saw without sacrificing performance?

Also...saw calls for 40:1 mix. I run a 32:1 mix. With the 1/2 turn out richer on the H, saw cleans up in the cut with more pressure than it takes with 1/2 turn leaner. I don't have a tach see...yet...but, factory specs are either 12K or I also saw 12.6K online. With a modded muffler I read I can safely go 2,000rpms over this, otherwise I'm probably running rich. Besides reading the sounds and sparkplug...any other techniques? Also...do people tune their saws based upon what they expect to cut? I would assume...if cutting small stuff (short cuts) a bit lean would be ok, but, having the saw in a large piece of wood for a long time they would want to run it on the fat side.

Was trying to find the "tuning" thread I participated in this month but can't find it, so instead of starting another tuning thread, I'll tag onto this one.

Anyway, Tuning Question:

When you lean back the H jet to get the saw to run at the WOT rpm you want, if you opened the throttle and held it wide open, would it max out at a certain speed (assuming it was rich enough) and then not turn any faster?

Because it SEEMED like I was getting my little Dolmar 34cc close to the target speed (11,500 rpm) after opening up the muffler, and taking out the limiters and opening up the H screw (was 2.7 turns open) and there was still some flutter/blubber in it, but then after about 2 or 3 seconds of WOT, it seems to want to spin up faster almost like it wants to run away.

Is this normal? Or should you be able to hold the throttle WOT for 3 seconds or so and and not have it sound like it wants to run away lean.

Thanks for any help.

If you have the engine good and warm and you go wfo no load. Then hear it 4 stroke for a bit then gain revs into a 2 stroke tune. You are likely draining your metering chamber of the carb. Ie it cant pump enough fuel to keep up. Caused by either or a combo of these issues..... Partially clogged fuel filter , clogged screen in carb , improperly adjusted metering arm/lever for the needle. Unless it only happens once after a extended idle as in burning off excess oil/fuel before reaching its actual tune. So try this first richen up high side till you get solid 4 stroke at wfo for say 10 seconds note if it stsys steady on rpms. If it dosnt replace fuel filter first and test again. If it still does it thrn pull carb and check the points i listed. Some of these strato carbs are real perticular on the settings to keep it running and make decent power. Too lean they suck too rich they suck and will stall coming out of a longer cut. Id bet the metering arm is too low or carb screen is partially clogged.

Thanks, Smokey7 and Brad. My saw guy said the Dolmar was too RICH, not too lean. Huh. Live and learn.

I hesitate to tear into the 660...let me look at it again. I appreciate the detailed reply, though, Smokey7. Thanks.

I'm wondering: If the 660 is doing this, does it really matter? I mean, it's going to use gas a lot faster at WOT (even under no load) than it will with the bar buried, because the saw will be slowed-down by the load and therefore shouldn't go lean due to gas not getting to the carb fast enough ... right?

Brad, was it you in the thread earlier this month who said something to the effect of, "I can't tell you all the technical reasons, but a hot saw goes lean"? Because I was wondering about that. Could it be that holding the saw WOT for more than 3 seconds makes the saw hotter, causing the charge to be at a higher temperature at ignition, which might reduce the 4-stroke burble/flutter sound?

Latest posts

Back