Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good ole’ boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 024 that I’m working on, and I’m scratching my head on tuning it. The carburetor has a new rebuild kit, and I believe the metering lever is the correct height. The initial settings are one turn out on low and high, but it wants to run at 3/4 turn out on the low side. When I turn the needle in, all the way seated, it won’t kill the saw. My question is, what is causing the saw to be so rich on the low side that you can’t lean it out enough to kill it? I tried with the air filter on and off, but it didn’t seem to matter. This issue is something I’ve never run into before on other saws. If it matters, the carburetor is a Walbro WT series.

Leaking welch plugs, inlet needle too high, wrong metering diaphragm, (center pin too long), lever binding on shaft, high speed jet (usually causes a lean on low side), incorrect gasket kit, bad diaphragms (even with a new kit). And yes, pressure and vacuum test. Once in a blue moon it makes it run rich. Don't ask me how. I should not happen, but it does.

Thanks, I need to buy a pressure tester. Any recommendations on a pressure tester? I’m always trying to learn what can cause these issues, so this is valuable info.

Thanks, I need to buy a pressure tester. Any recommendations on a pressure tester? I’m always trying to learn what can cause these issues, so this is valuable info.
I'm happy with my noname Chinese model for 20 bucks. Thing is simple enough - and not used enough - to not go MightyVacc for my use case.

I use the mitivac all metal mitivac 8500 because I use it almost everyday- a leaking seal on a crankcase might not show up on pressure but show up on vac, plus a brake bleeding kit comes with them too, a lot of uses, they are about 100$ for the kit. but in your case the cheaper one will probably be fine

I use the mitivac all metal mitivac 8500 because I use it almost everyday- a leaking seal on a crankcase might not show up on pressure but show up on vac, plus a brake bleeding kit comes with them too, a lot of uses, they are about 100$ for the kit. but in your case the cheaper one will probably be fine
That’s good to know. That’s the kit that I ordered.

Latest posts

Back