201T mod problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
While my new 201T is down waiting for parts.(I dropped it out of a tree)I decided to drill the muffler, remove the limiters on the carb and change the timing. I might add I am a novice mechanic at best.
The first problem I ran into is the filing of the key on the flywheel. I can't seem to get it out. is it built into the flywheel? I filed it down in place. but now i realized I don't really know what side I was supposed to file.
On the carb, I only have one jet with a limiter, and I easily drilled it out. I need help now though where do I set my jets when I try to start it? Does 2 and half turns to start sound right?
The muffler I didn't have any trouble drilling. But I did remove the whole plastic cover to get to it and now it looks like I didn't have to. Im now going crazy trying to put the handle, choke, and throttle back together. Its like its all spring loaded, I get one thing hooked up something else jumps off. I'll figure it out though. Any tips would sure be appreciated. Thanks

I have had my 200t apart quite a few times and i use tape and dental picks to get all the little throttle connecting rods to stay in place when i'm reassembling. it can be maddening. i much prefer working on my 460 and 660....they're so easy to work on......i smashed my 460 up good once and put a new gas tank on in like twenty minutes.

It spins CCW file the Left side of flywheel key to advance time.

It spins CCW file the Left side of flywheel key to advance time.

I lucked out that is the side I done. I got it all together tonight. Now I just have to try to start it and see how she runs. I still don't know where to start on the jetting, I'll start at two and half and increase it half a turn tell she pops. Thanks.

That's more than enough. Do you have a tach for tuning it? Grab one if you don't. You can use the works connection tach and permanently attach it to the saw which lets you keep an eye on the tune and prevents you running it lean. Having a tach on the saw means you can run it right on the edge without fear. If i didn't have tachs on my saws I'd probably be tuning them a little fatter just for peace of mind.

Lots of guys seem to run their climbing saws way up high, I've tached a few that were at 14,500, even 15,000. I tune mine at 14,000 and get plenty of life out of them. They just don't feel right at 13,500.

I have a pair of these extra long needle nose pliers;

Xcelite NN7776V Long Needle Nose Plier with Green Cushion Grip Handle, Serrated Jaw, 6" Length, 2-5/16" Jaw Length, Carded: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I've had mine for about 4 years now, and use them all the time for hundreds of different things. They're excellent for getting carb linkages back together. They're very thin in the nose.

Shaun

I lucked out that is the side I done. I got it all together tonight. Now I just have to try to start it and see how she runs. I still don't know where to start on the jetting, I'll start at two and half and increase it half a turn tell she pops. Thanks.

Left side as assembled on the saw correct? looking at the fins? lol... Just checking.

Don't sweat the jetting. You are just going to be screwing that sucker in, it will still run.

That saw is rev-limited to something like 13.5k I think, and there is a procedure to set it up. You to let it go back to idle for a period of time once you hit the rev-limiter. This resets the electronic advance. (the limiter takes timing out.) Once you bounce into the limiter again you have to let it idle again.... and again....

See if you can scoop the service manual and you will see what I mean.

Back