Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd get a 13" bar if I could find one and outfit it with 3/8" pitch chain.
I was given a new 250 to modify, so will include pictures later.
John

Depends what you're cutting with it - bar-buried hardwood cutting, trimming up branches, cutting 6-12" firewood, etc. More info from you will get a more meaningful response from us.

That said, my usual thinking would be 14" or 16" for under-50cc saws.

If you're using it for an all around saw, firewood, minor felling, clearing, etc...go w/ the 16". I tried an 18" on my 026 and when cutting the larger stuff I can tell quite a bit of difference. The 16" seems to cut faster. Just my opinion

I've got the 16" .325 chisel chain and I am quite happy I definately wouldn't go to a 18", but that is just my prerogative.
John, I can't wait to see what you do to the 250, tearing it down will be a little more of a pain, I look forward to the post.

Lucky

I always go for the long bar...and I may not be as much of a performance nut as some of these guys...but I use an 18" and I have cut some big daggone trees with that saw...much more than it was probably ever intended to cut. It just won't quit it only stopped cutting the one time I ran out of guide bar even with plunge cutting and all the "tricks...about a 40-50" dbh Nissa It is a fact I am sure that it will be somewhat faster witha 14 or 16 inch bar, but you will be pleased with either a 16 or 18 if you go with teh full chisel non safety link Stihl or Oregon chain and keep it very sharp.

They are at their best with 13-14" bars.
Any additions to that will reduce performance.

95VP narrow kerf chain is probably the best chain option.

I prefer to go into bush with 18" bar, good to fell. And buck at home to the firewood with 15" bar;)

With MS250, both works with 15" is the best, probably.
But even here, in last dec. I cutted several big spruces with 18" bar surely not reachable for 15".:)

Latest posts

Back