254 part questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I understand that there are several other Husky saws that can share parts with my beloved 254. While being ported by @huskihl, he mentioned the clutch cover could use being replaced.

Are there other clutch covers that will fit on a 254?? I believe mine was made in 1989.

Also, what are my carb options? Right now it seems the stock carb is working well with the awesome work Kevin did, but if I wanted to squeeze more out he said the carb would be the place to start. Are there other carb combinations that can be modified to work on the 254?

Any wisdom y'all can share is much appreciated.

Blessings,
-Will

The 254 share a lot of parts with the 154,257,261 and 262. I don't know what a carb upgrade would be or if it is worth it. The chain brake is another story I think they are still available new just a little pricey. The recoil, top cover and chain brake are little hard to find. Someone posted a few days ago that you can grind down a husky 55 chain brake and get it to fit. Not sure that would be an improvement in your case. If it just needs the guts most of the parts on a 55 will work on a 254 chain brake of the same era.

A 1989 254 should have the pre air-injection cranlcase and a fibre-reinforced polyamid (i.e. plastic) clutch cover with two flat tabs that you insert into slots neat the handle before the cover slips over the bar bolts. I believe you can replace this cover assy with the later cast magnesium alloy type BUT you need to grind away part of it near where the tabs in the original are in order for it to fit properly.

Latest posts

Back