257 to 262XP help !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod St John

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm finally getting around to converting my father in law's 257 to a 262xp. I have had this saw sitting around for a couple of years now and he has "reminded me" about it ! anyway.. as I was getting to order the parts, i see that the carb manifold for the 262 now seems to be unavailable wherever I look. Couple of questions.. 1) for those who have done the conversion.. can you do it without replacing the carb manifold ? and 2) if I do need to have this manifold, does anyone happen to have a spare kicking around their shop that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable sum ?

My Plan was to replace the top end and perhaps even go with the 3 weight clutch. Basically, he loved the saw until he ran it lean and scored the cylinder. I changed the piston and bearings, but was not happy with the scoring in the jug. I gave it back to him running decently and he then brought it back to me the next season as it was not running well. That was when I figured I would replace the entire top end and give him an upgrade.. now it seems I may have waited too long to do this as the manifold is not available apparently. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,
Rod

are you sure the cylinder is scored and not just aluminium transferred from the piston. if he ran it for a season it cant be that bad or it wouldnt run!

Had the same issue with my conversion, I had to modify the 257 Intake manifold to fit the 262 cylinder. I wound up plugging the old hole and then grinding a relief in the manifold so that I could pass a brass pipe between the cylinder and the carb.
I don't remember what diameter I used but it wound up being a very good fit between the two and I've had no problems with it.
I've seen used 262 manifolds on eBay, if you have the patience your best bet is to wait until one comes up.
There is also a slight difference in mounting angle between the 257 and the 262 cylinder, you will have to use a couple of spacer washers underneath the carb intake horn to get the right height.
However once you get everything lined up it will fit underneath the stock 257 top cover.
It's a shame there's not many aftermarket parts available for the chassis, it's a good design and easy to work on, In many ways a lot like the 55 Husqvarna which the 257 actually shares a tank with.

They seem to have power on par with other saws of their displacement, their published hp figures are considered to be overrated. Here's mine in some oak.

Latest posts

Back