260 oiler...vs. 260 pro adjustable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
atlanta georgia..formerly from massena, new york
:blob2: here's the problem...my friend bought the 260 pro, and i bought the 260. he has the adjustable oiler and is trying to convince me to have one installed for about $45.00.....i'm new to this game and i can't help feeling that it would be a good idea.....what i want to know is how mine works, as compared to his and why i should leave mine the way it came......or not??

I own a 260Pro which I bought slightly used for a great price. Otherwise I would have bought the 260.

Besides the fixed jet carb which gave me fits for a few months until I finally got it jetted right, the only issue I have with the 260Pro is the oiler. I have taken it apart and thoroughly cleaned it 3 different times in the last year. I leave it set wide open and it still doesn't oil enough half the time. I spoke with one of the pro saw builders from this site (DozerDan) and he recommended installing the fixed oiler from the 260. He had done this on several 260Pro's with faulty oilers and said it was a weak design.

Stick with the fixed oiler. It is dependable and you will always have enough oil. As a pro climber, I have rarely ever adjusted an oiler on any saw after getting it set the first day or two.

Don't let your friend talk you into a fixed jet 'Intellicarb' either. There are more than a few threads on that topic here.

Ignore my last post

Sorry, ignore everything above. Here's the deal- I'll sell you an adjustable oiler for an 026Pro for $20 and the fixed oiler from your 026. It's only a year old and has had nothing but Stihl bar oil run through it. It's been removed and cleaned every 3 months, too!

I would like some clarification on a couple of points regarding this 026/MS260 stuff.

I could very well be wrong, but I believe that every MS260 non-Pro that I've picked up off the shelf in the past year does not have an adjustable HS jet.  So it seems as though the only current difference between the two saws carb-wise is that one balances the metering diaphragm against straight atmosphere and the other does so against pressure inside the filter.  Is this correct or no?

And doesn't the adjustable oil pump drive off the output side of the clutch while the non-adjustable one is powered from the input side?  If there is that difference, wouldn't that explain, at least in part, the fact that the non-adustable supplies more oil overall?

Thanks.

Glen

guff,

My 026(not pro)does not have a adjustable oiler,bar oil volume is more than adequate and I am very satisfied with the saws performance.My 021 also does not have a adjustable oiler but oils quit well with no problems.

You could run each saw on throddle lock,your friend has a pro,for about 30 seconds side by side to see which saw oils the most(pro maxed out).It would be interesting to hear the results.

I'am not sure of the mechanical design/application difference of the oilers,adjustable vs. non adjustable,glens asks a good question.

Rick

I have not had a problem with my fixed oiler on the 260, can't see neding more oil as you would not ever pull more than a 20" bar. The only complaint though minor is if the saw is set down and left to idle for a while the oiler keeps pumping and the first time you rev it up you get splashed with a slop of oil.

I find the adjustable oiler on the bigger saw of more benifit, also the pumping is shut down at idle. I like max oil on the 32" bar or for milling small stuff with the 20" and for fire wood cutting with a 16-20" about half oil.

I just wish that the max oil delivery was higher on my 066, even at maximum it only put out 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank of oil per tank of gas.

is there any modification to increase this?

Timberwolf

I had this problem with a saw. I noticed it when I changed bar oils. The "new" oil was thicker therefore the saw pumped less oil.
You can either change brands to a thinner oil, or thin out the oil your already using. Using less does not mean your not getting proper lubrcation although. Make a couple of long cuts and inspect the chain after doing so. Thin the bar oil accordingly.

This is not specifically with regard to Stihls, but I find that on most small saws (under 62 cc ) people just leave those adjustable oilers alone with the factory setting anyway. They wouldn't know if they even had an adjustable oiler.

The underlying truth is that if you have oile flow for the whole tank of gas you will probably be O.K. Also there are some saws that get the oiler turned up to maximum, and consequently will run sometimes with an empty oil tank

my 066 goes through about 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank of oil per tank of gas. I run a 28'' bar on it unless i just want to have fun then i run a 20'' on it:rolleyes: Its always preformed great for me.

I just got my son a MS260 for Christmas, and we are pleased with the non adj oiler. My other saw that have an adj oiler just stay on the max setting-so why have an adj? Anyway we feel that the oiler that come on this saw is just fine. Now all I have to do is talk him into letting me do a mufler mod on it. By the way we have experanced no carb problems at all. A good running saw!!:blob2:

Back