Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillettadam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I got a red lever 026 with adjustable oiler and no decomp about a year ago. Seller had muddled the fuel and oil tanks and decided to get a battery job. After flushing the tank out and putting a carb kit in I gave it a run and was really impressed. It had a couple of niggles as there was severe burning of the plastic around the clutch and the chain dragged, so I guess the previous owner mist have been leaving the brake on when trying to cut. Having been impressed by how it cut I decided to spend a bit of money on it and changed the clutch springs, the crusty burnt plastic around the brake and decided as I was taking the clutch off to do the crank seals because that much heat couldn't have done the seal any favours. This is where the fun began. I managed to change the seals, not an easy job on an 026 and massive air leak. Saw wouldnt run right utterly knackered it. Called a friend who is a small engine mechanic and borrowed his pressure tester and no leaks. Can't be right I've changed the seals and now it has a massive air leak, wont idle, typical bad crank seal behaviour. Sacked it off for 6 months or so as I have other saws and it was p-ing me off. 6 month later I go through the workshop manual and decide to bite the bullet and buy the proper seal installation tools. Get the seals changed again and reseal with some gasket sealer just to be sure. Fresh fuel in it and it must go now right, I've used the proper Stihl tools. No dice. Pressure tested again and comes out absolutely fine. Decide to buy a chinese carb for it to rule that out. Fit and no different so put the original back on and decide to mothball it again. Last week decided to take a look at it again and thought what can it possibly be, it holds pressure and vac. 2 carbs have played up, and the original one worked fine before the crank seals were changed... and decided to put the pressure tester on the fuel line. BUBBLES so many bubbles. Pulled the fuel line and there was a huge split in it going half way around the pipe. This was inside the tank so the saw had never smelled of fuel. Changed the line and she runs like a dream again! So sometimes the mentality of I changed x and now it doesn't work so x must be the problem isn't always right! Hopefully if you have a trouble saw this may inspire you to take another look at it with fresh eyes.

I've been running an 026 since new (1999). It's the best saw I've ever had. Fell and buck 6-8 cords a year with it. Apart from Basic maintenance (Fuel lines, spark plugs, impulse line) it just keeps on trucking. I'm going to be sad when it's time for it to go. The only problem I've ever had with it (and still have) is it will stall if I put it down. I don't know why, I can hold it in my hand at all angles for hours on end and it keep running but as soon as it's out of my hand it sputters and dies.

I think it just misses me.

Hi wood doctor. I have actually fitted an 029 impulse line for it as the 026 one is barely long enough to engage with the fitting on the carb, and as I had to split the saw I put a new intake boot on at the same time.

Hi wood doctor. I have actually fitted an 029 impulse line for it as the 026 one is barely long enough to engage with the fitting on the carb, and as I had to split the saw I put a new intake boot on at the same time.
Not an easy job. I have done that also. The fuel line is another bearcat. Usually the tank's opening for the fuel line has to be enlarged a bit for the larger fuel line's grommet to fit. I guess Stihl figured that their 026 fuel lines and the pickup body would never fail and have to be replaced.

I to have a 026 ive had for 100 years i treat her badly butbthe damn thing just wont die. Its alittle hopped up to but man it would be misersble bucking 8 cords of wood with it.
Just for the simple fact i have to bend over way more than a 32" to reach the wood.

The thing does step in when my bigger saws quit or i fell trees on them stuff like that

Hi all, I got a red lever 026 with adjustable oiler and no decomp about a year ago. Seller had muddled the fuel and oil tanks and decided to get a battery job. After flushing the tank out and putting a carb kit in I gave it a run and was really impressed. It had a couple of niggles as there was severe burning of the plastic around the clutch and the chain dragged, so I guess the previous owner mist have been leaving the brake on when trying to cut. Having been impressed by how it cut I decided to spend a bit of money on it and changed the clutch springs, the crusty burnt plastic around the brake and decided as I was taking the clutch off to do the crank seals because that much heat couldn't have done the seal any favours. This is where the fun began. I managed to change the seals, not an easy job on an 026 and massive air leak. Saw wouldnt run right utterly knackered it. Called a friend who is a small engine mechanic and borrowed his pressure tester and no leaks. Can't be right I've changed the seals and now it has a massive air leak, wont idle, typical bad crank seal behaviour. Sacked it off for 6 months or so as I have other saws and it was p-ing me off. 6 month later I go through the workshop manual and decide to bite the bullet and buy the proper seal installation tools. Get the seals changed again and reseal with some gasket sealer just to be sure. Fresh fuel in it and it must go now right, I've used the proper Stihl tools. No dice. Pressure tested again and comes out absolutely fine. Decide to buy a chinese carb for it to rule that out. Fit and no different so put the original back on and decide to mothball it again. Last week decided to take a look at it again and thought what can it possibly be, it holds pressure and vac. 2 carbs have played up, and the original one worked fine before the crank seals were changed... and decided to put the pressure tester on the fuel line. BUBBLES so many bubbles. Pulled the fuel line and there was a huge split in it going half way around the pipe. This was inside the tank so the saw had never smelled of fuel. Changed the line and she runs like a dream again! So sometimes the mentality of I changed x and now it doesn't work so x must be the problem isn't always right! Hopefully if you have a trouble saw this may inspire you to take another look at it with fresh eyes.
I understand your trouble with the 026 and I appreciate how you solved the problem. Little things like that can be very frustrating.
Thanks for the update info.

Latest posts

Back