26T Iron and Oak or 37T Northstar Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrrt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings.

Shipped to my door I can get the Iron and Oak 26 ton Honda or the Northern Tool 37 ton splitter for the same price (about 2,300). I could also get the I&O delivered for $350 less with a Subaru robin engine.

I really like the extra features the Northstar comes with like the garage stripper for the wedge, idle down and log cradles for the beam. I was all set to get one until I started hearing about the leaking return hose issue. Now it seems northern has stated the system can not have a hydro filter and if you install one yourself you void the warranty. Even with the filter removed on the new system people are still posting about failing return hoses. Seems to me there is some kind of serious design problem here and while removing the filter may help it does not seem to be a true fix. Then as others mentioned there is also the problem that you can't actualy use the garage to strip stuck logs off because they will hit the engine, again design issue. Some have also comented the build of the undercairage is poor as well.

I am most worried about the problems NT seems to be dancing around with the plumbing and return line failures. So I started looking around at other splitters and found the 26T I&O for the same price.

Its less tonage than the Northern but some say the northern is over rated and after looking at the specs I suspect the I&O may be pretty close in terms of performance. The I&O is a VERY basic design, although it does cycle in 12 seconds which is very fast. I really liked the idle down feature offered by the northern as my previous lickety splitter did this and I loved it.

I only split about 4 cords per year but they are giant old tree's at the ends of their life spans in a windy area so the wood is very twisty and tough to split. Bay, euc, and oaks.

Should I go with the more basic I&O or am I being parinoid about the Northern. Is the Honda worth the extra $350?

I want something that will work without problems for the next 50 years.

Bells and whistles Northstar or basic I&O?

Thoughts?

The Iron & Oak is likely a heaver built machine and I like the design of the cylinder pushing the wood through the wedge than the wedge through the wood.

You may also consider DR's new line of super split like splitters or even a Super Split:

DR® Power Equipment - DR RapidFire Log Splitter

Log Splitter, Wood Splitter - Super Split(R)

As for the engine, I wouldn't blink and would get the Subaru engine over the Honda in a heartbeat. Nothing wrong with the Honda but the Subaru Robin engines are very very good as well.

If you buy a filter based entirely on the flow rating of your pump and install it, you will have problems. It doesn't matter which brand you have. It would be very hard to keep a return hose in place as well because they are usually a lower pressure rating. Once you install an undersized filter (restriction), you will make more pressure than the hose or the filter can handle. You must figure in the volume difference of the cylinder volume on the return stroke. On the return stroke the opposite end of the cylinder can produce 1-1/2 to 2 times the flow, due to the rod volume. Using undersized fittings and/or elbows also make restrictions, which will raise pressure and cause failure.
I don't believe Northern is dancing around any problem. I doubt if the phone staff even understands what is happening, but they shouldn't need to explain to the customer why they create their own problems, nor should they cover under warranty, issues due to ignorance.
Sorry for the rant, but the Northern spitters are getting a bad reputation for no reason.

Hi, CMSmoke,

How does your 37T work? Did you have to change the return line or is it now solid as is? What about not having a filter? Seems there is much less potential for metal bits than an engine (as long as surfaces were cleaned and finished well) but most high end splitters seem to include them so it makes me wonder if running without is a good idea? I have heard many say filters are in general a weak point. Any I&O users taking them off or having leaking issues?

I have the I&O 26 ton with the Honda. I only split madrone hardwood. Could not be more pleased with the splitter.

rtavernetti,
I made the wrong size filter mistake. That is how I learned about it. I do have one on my 37 ton. It is mounted directly to the control valve and the return hose runs between the filter and the tank. It is the return hose supplied with the splitter. I got the splittter in 2009 and believe it to have the current hose set up sold today. I got the filter from northern as well, but had to get a Fram filter with a heavier body and higher flow capacity. If you go this route I will post the part# for whoever needs it.
I also made a removeable table with an extended gaurd to save the gas tank. I split 32" oak in the vertical position into small enough pieces to handle , then go horizontal. See the short video attached.
View attachment 198269View attachment 198270
Log Splitter Winch - YouTube

I cant comment on the 37 ton but I have the smaller 22 ton model. First off, my unit originally had a factory filter which didnt cause me any troubles. One of the splitters hoses sprung a leak where the rubber meets the metal about a year after having the splitter. It was under warranty so I called NT for a new hose. It was then they advised me to remove the filter even though it wasnt the issue with the leaking hose. They said they would be sending me a replacement hose and 5 gallons of hydro fluid because I would likely loose some fluid during the filter removal. They sent a replacement hose and oil overnight shipping UPS which I thought was awesome. I asked why the filter was to be removed and they basically said they were causing trouble with some units. They felt comfortable with removing the filter because there is a screen filter on the hydro tank plug. The tanks plug acts as a screen and the suction hose fitting. As far as the log stripper not working is news to me, mine works great. My only question is why you need such a big splitter if your only splitting 4 cords per year? There are more inexpensive alternatives.

Yes that’s a good point. I was wondering if I could get away with a smaller splitter which is why I was looking at the 26T. We had a pretty big splitter previously. It ran like a champ but the ram exploded last year. It’s a very funny design and I'm not expecting to be able to fix it anytime soon. So I worry about breaking it b/c it was too light for the type, not necessarily the amount, of wood. But it was old and maybe was not as sturdy as a modern splitter so perhaps I could get away with a lighter model, but I'm not sure. I don't mind paying more as long as it will last with a minimum of problems. Having it working when I need it is worth far more to me than the upfront cost of the unit. The features of the northstar look very nice, I just worry about longevity. However as others have said a splitter, less the engine, is a pretty simple item and the components are fairly generic. I have no idea if an I&O components would be any less likely to fail that the ones northstar is using.

Last edited:
Well I went with the i&o 26t splitter because I perceived it as having better craftsmanship and above all else wanted the most hassle free product I could get. It arrived today. It went to geather very quickly. 60 min. It comes mostly assembled and the assembly is well thought out so you could do it by yourself. Filled it up and started to split. The 26t bogged down a bit in the twisty oak so I'm glad I didn't go any smaller but I didn't try pushing the machine and was just going slow. The Honda is superb and starts first pull every time.

Now for the bad news.

After a few test splits I turned it off and heard a hissing noise. I looked to see where it was coming from and found hot hydraulic fluid spraying out from in-between the welds on the hydraulic tank. You can see the holes where the welder failed to connect the beads to make a seal. I have a real mess on my hands and no time to deal with it. Very disappointed. I hope I&O will help.

Last edited:
Should of got a Northern.Just kidding, I`m sure Iron and oak will handle the situation just fine.I`ve got the 30 ton Northern and I love it.Mine didn`t come with a filter, so there isn`t one to give me a problem.Four years without any trouble.I hope you get your squared away.Good luck.

That's the first problem with an iron and oak I have ever heard of. Mine is built like a brick sh*t house and I've never had any issues with it. Keep us posted.

alright lets lay it down both splitters have the same size cylinder 5" the real deal is the northern a 4.75" cylinder they would have to run 4200 psi (not possiable) the iron and oak is running around 3000psi more than likely the northern is running 3500psi which makes 30ton assuming 3500psi. i have used an I&O horizontal/vertical model and its bare bones basic splitter and way overpriced. i would look at the ariens splitters. just my opinion good luck

alright lets lay it down both splitters have the same size cylinder 5" the real deal is the northern a 4.75" cylinder they would have to run 4200 psi (not possiable) the iron and oak is running around 3000psi more than likely the northern is running 3500psi which makes 30ton assuming 3500psi. i have used an I&O horizontal/vertical model and its bare bones basic splitter and way overpriced. i would look at the ariens splitters. just my opinion good luck

And where did you get the information that the northern has a 4.75 cylinder bore?It clearly says 5in on there website and I wouldn't think they would lie about that.Does anybody even make a 4.75 bore cylinder?

I have measured a northern cylinder its 5.125 OD so unless it has 1/16 cylinder wall it is smaller than 5" bore. yes 4.75 is not uncommon in the hydraulic world. not so much in the log splitter world. i recall there is a review on the "5"" cylinder kit that will back me up on the 4.75 cylinder

Iron and Joke

IMHO forget the Iron & Oak. Built like a tank but doesn't last. Bolts shear off, trouble with stand, engine trouble after 2 years. I should have bought the Northern.

Back