272xp rebuild and porting guidance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10031994BC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I got my parts to rebuild my 272xp in today. To catch anyone who hasn't seen my last post. I bought this saw and noticed it was down on power as well as compression but ran decent. couldn't leave well enough alone and I pulled it apart. Through the help of this form, identifed this saw had an open port 268 jug. Would have been fine but the ring jumped the pin and caused lack of power/compression .
I bought a 272 piston (52mm) and jug combo. And while I have it apart I would like to do some port work. The only thing is there is so many ways people have gone about this that I got lost in all the information.
I have a direction I want to go in. Since this is my first time doing port work on a saw I want to leave the base gasket alone. I dont want mess around with port timing for my first time. I want to focus on the intake and exhaust ports.
Everything I read said to widen the the ports by 2 millimeters, 1 millimeter on each side. Does this sound correct and if it is how do you get accurate measurements on the curved cylinder walls. And how should I shape the port
i have already cleaned up the parting lines from the windows on the cylinder and now I'm hopping to get guidance on the porting of the jug . The goal is to have a reliable woods ported saw
up

Latest posts

Back