3/8LP to .325 conversion on T435... Impossible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudzone

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anyone definitively say if one could convert a Husky T435 from 3/8 low-pro to .325? I've done a lot of digging and see little hope for this conversion. Mine is currently stock with a 6-tooth 3/8 spur. There is very little to no cross-compatibility info for .325 rims/spurs, drive bearings, or the proper worm gears. The .325-equipped rear-handle 435 & 440s must run a different crank diameter. This would be pretty easy if they were the same.
I realize this ho-hum top handle saw is best suited for the 3/8LP, but I have a bunch of short .325 gear and it would be nice to have two file sizes in the kit vs three.
Thanks for the wisdom!

I did it with a ms200t, Stihl makes a factory spur drum in .325 for them.....worked well. Probably not as fast as LP but if you not in a race speed ain't always that important. Speed is everything though on saw forums lol. Does the IPL/workshop manual have part no's for different drums? I'd check there.

The 339 appears to be quite different, but the 439 appears to be a rear-handle version of the T435. It's 3/8 too though.

This is a Zenoah/RedMax design and the clutch drum/worm and pump assembly look to be very similar to the GZ4000/4500. You need a 7T drum and a matching worm. The GZ4500 was 7T 0.325", but they only sold those parts as kits with the pump, which was pricey.

I'm sure that saw would be happier with 3/8 lo pro.

I suspected this was not only a difficult conversion but also just a bad idea. Thanks for the thoughts!
C

Since the arrival of Stihl PS 3/8 low profile chain I don't see the point in converting small saws to .325.
The PS chain is very good and cut 30 percent faster ,with my Redmax 3800, than the low profile semi chisel I compared it to.
As Chris-PA said my Redmax4500 came with .325 and that works well with that saw.

Since the arrival of Stihl PS 3/8 low profile chain I don't see the point in converting small saws to .325.
The PS chain is very good and cut 30 percent faster ,with my Redmax 3800, than the low profile semi chisel I compared it to.
As Chris-PA said my Redmax4500 came with .325 and that works well with that saw.

I haven't tried that chain. I'll definitely give that one a try soon. Thanks

I'm a big fan of the 63ps but.I didn't like it on the t435 I had. I felt it kept chain speed better and cut faster with oregon 91vxl. that was on a 12" bar with a few tweaks on the saw. the semi chisel is also a bit more forgiving when it comes time to sharpen on these little chains in my experience.

I always wondered why 325 pitch was never shown as a fraction like 375 pitch often is (3/8),
So I googled it and 325 pitch is 13/40"
From here on in 325 pitch shall be refered to as 13/40".
Try that on your Stihl dealer next time you want some 325 chain. Lol

Latest posts

Back