3 or 5 skip ripping chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For wide logs it may be best to use 3 or 5 skip ripping chains. Can you buy them off the shelf?

My .02/ experience on skip chains- if you have enough power to pull full comp it's the better choice for slabbing. The skip chains I've used (on up to a 6' long bar) haven't had enough pro's to outweigh their con's, but I am running a piston ported 084.

What's your setup and what will you be using it on?

Last edited:
My .02/ experience on skip chains- if you have enough power to pull full comp it's the better choice for slabbing. The skip chains I've used (on up to a 6' long bar) haven't had enough pro's to outweigh their con's, but I am running a piston ported 084.

What's your setup and what will you be using it on?

I have been offered the chestnut tree shown in the attached pic. I am an amateur and feel a little scared about felling it, so I may back out. The log will be big, but my 084 with a 41" bar should be up and running shortly. I may also use my 064 with a 32" bar. I use an Alaskan and look for interesting wood for my woodshop. I have never worked with chestnut, do you guys think that it's worth the trouble?

attachment.php

attachment.php

tanderson... chestnut, if its similar to Chinese chestnut or the now defunct American chestnut, is very pretty wood. I've milled Chinese chestnut, and it went easy, about like walnut. Can't really tell in the pics, but can that thing hit the house if it's felled wrong? If so you obviously want to get somebody that knows what they are doing. Your saw and mill should handle that, but yard trees with such a huge spreading crown like that can be tricky when they fall, they sometimes roll one way or the other often unpredictably depending on exactly how they hit the ground and which of those huge branches they land on falling.

I would love take a shot at that with you t_. Send me a plane ticket and well get thet baby down.;) :biggrinbounce2: Do you have a shot of it from the house side.

I mill the fastest using regular Stihl RS full-comp .325 on my Husqvarna 3120XP with a 9-tooth sprocket. Mills faster than 3/8 ripping chain (4 cutting teeth with 0 degree top plates and two scoring teeth with top plates ground off using a chucked belt sander or die grinder with a cutting wheel.) - Paul W

Latest posts

Back