Rip chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesethaws

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I’m looking to begin milling my own wood for some home projects of mine. I just got one of these adjustable harbor freight sharpeners that you can adjust the angle on from basically square to 35 degrees. Would it be possible to reprofile the teeth on a standard chain with this to make it more suited to ripping?

My saws are a harbor freight Poulan and a Stihl MS661.

Attachments

• ED6EA708-E4BC-4902-B44E-083097928B99.jpeg
    ED6EA708-E4BC-4902-B44E-083097928B99.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Short answer is yes.
I'd recommend taking it back ~5° at a time over successive sharpenings so as not to waste a lot of chain all at once.
Ideally you want a bit more top plate cutting angle (hook) than the cheap fixed sharpeners will give you. I've been able to achieve this on similar sharpeners by raising the front of the chain clamp.
@Philbert has a couple of good posts about these grinders & what can be done to improve them.
I'd also recommend reading through the chainsaw milling 101 sticky if you haven't already

Short answer is yes.
I'd recommend taking it back ~5° at a time over successive sharpenings so as not to waste a lot of chain all at once.
Ideally you want a bit more top plate cutting angle (hook) than the cheap fixed sharpeners will give you. I've been able to achieve this on similar sharpeners by raising the front of the chain clamp.
@Philbert has a couple of good posts about these grinders & what can be done to improve them.
I'd also recommend reading through the chainsaw milling 101 sticky if you haven't already

If you want more hook when filing. On Oregon type file holders put some paper or thin cardboard/match book cover between the holder and the file.

Lowers the file in relation to the teeth.

Back