3120K stone saw for milling head?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckmoberly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying an alaskan mill, a 56" granberg, with a bar included with it. So I need a power head. I'm also a stone carver and a 3120K husky stone saw would be very nice to have around too. The granberg set up I'm looking at has an oiler built into it, so thats not a problem, sprockets?

Is this possible?
The online dealer's I've asked have been no help.

I'm happy with the ms310 and the small echo saw I have for carving and roughing since I buy logs instead of cut tree's down I don't need a big saw except as a milling head.

That oiler set-up is an auxiliary oiler, designed to augment the output of your saws oiler on long bars rather than taking the place of the saws oiler. I think you might encounter some major lubrication issues trying to use the "k" w/ the auxiliary oiler.

I suppose you could. They mount on the posts so you would have room for another and then have oil at each end of the bar.

Maybe changing the chainsaw into a stone saw is the way to go. I'll try to find a dealer around here with both in stock to compare and contrast. I doubt I'll find them together in southern california, anyway I'll try.

My experience tells me that the aux oiler is much more efficient than the power head oiler. When milling with my 3120 and 36" bar I turn the power head oiler down and increase flow at aux oiler. The aux oiler puts the lube right at the start of the cutting surface of the bar while the saws oiler places it on the top or non cutting surface first where some of it is lost by the time it is carried to the cutting side of bar. The difference really shows up when using the mini mill edger for the vertical cuts where you have only the power head oiler. In that arrangement I crank the flow all the way up and by the time I get to the end of a 16' cant the chain will show noticeable slack. Same width cut on the horizontal side with the aux oiler in place and I get many cuts before having to adjust chain tension.

Well I went ahead and ordered a 3120xp. I brought home a 44" by 120" mexican ash log last week end. I can't move it with my bobcat, it's in my sandy wash of a driveway, so I have to be finished with shopping and start milling it up.
Maybe I'll eventually buy a 3120k and try it on the other end of the bar.

Latest posts

Back