346, running funny, and a vacuum test question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules083

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was having some problems with my 372, decided I needed another chainsaw for my growing CAD and bought a 346xp off eBay. Always wanted one.

First thing out of the way. I'm vacuum / pressure testing it right now. If I pressurize the crankcase to 10psi it drops to 9 psi in 25-30 seconds. I think the leak may be in my decompression valve plug, as I had to use a bolt with a homemade tubing spacer to get it plugged. Is that an acceptable loss, or do I need to stop and buy a better bolt plug for another attempt? I don't know where the leak is for sure, or how fast a good saw will leak down. This is my first time testing.

Second, here's what happened.

Saw came in the mail. Put it together, everything looked good. Went outside and started cutting. Ran perfect for about 10 minutes then started shutting off, acting like it was starving for fuel. It will sputter if I push the primer bulb, and maybe run for 2-3 seconds, but that's it.

This is the first thing I'm checking. Wanted to verify a good seal before looking elsewhere.

Thanks.

03cff648bde27e6b742df75d41dbfb97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I sprayed and couldn't find anything yet. I'm leaving for work now, I'll stop and get a shorter bolt to plug the port on my way there. I thought that seemed fast, but I didn't know.

Thanks. I sprayed and couldn't find anything yet. I'm leaving for work now, I'll stop and get a shorter bolt to plug the port on my way there. I thought that seemed fast, but I didn't know.

Well you could always put it under water while pumping pressure in not vac.

I just bought an 026 Stihl that acted like that, like it was out of fuel so I pulled the carb and the screen was plugged.
cleaned the screen put back on and made a couple cuts and again it acted the same, I pulled carb and again the screen was plugged so I dumped the fuel that was in it when I got it and put in fresh 40-1 and now it runs fine.
From what you've said there is no classic sign of air leak.

John

If you bought it as a running saw and it had issues I'd be contacting the seller before doing any work.

I've been in contact with the seller since the problem started. He said "I don't do returns but I'll be able to give you whatever the saw needs to run right." If the vacuum test is good and I can't find anything else wrong he offered to send me a carburetor.

I'm ok with him providing parts, depending on what is needed. If it's seals or case gasket I'm not sure what the next step is, as I've never messed with either nor do I own any special tools needed.

I've been in contact with the seller since the problem started. He said "I don't do returns but I'll be able to give you whatever the saw needs to run right." If the vacuum test is good and I can't find anything else wrong he offered to send me a carburetor.

I'm ok with him providing parts, depending on what is needed. If it's seals or case gasket I'm not sure what the next step is, as I've never messed with either nor do I own any special tools needed.

Did you look at the piston and cyl condition or do a compression test yet? Was the saw advertised as running good or everything working cause if it was you do have the right to send it back.

Did you look at the piston and cyl condition or do a compression test yet? Was the saw advertised as running good or everything working cause if it was you do have the right to send it back.

Looks good to me so far. No compression test.

Here's a link to the ad if I did this right.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151885241328

On another question, what's a good way to block the decompression valve? I went to the hardware store expecting to buy a bolt, everything they had was too long and the head was too big...

On another question, what's a good way to block the decompression valve? I went to the hardware store expecting to buy a bolt, everything they had was too long and the head was too big...

The have ones made to do that they are a few dollars. Just do a search on the compression plug it will come up.

As I understand it with ebay, if you paid via paypal and you're not happy and its not as described, ie running properly, then it's irrelevant whether he accepts returns or not, not sure how you stand after trying to fix it yourself

I'm the same though, I'd fix it myself if I thought it was a small issue

First step would be to make absolutely sure your press/vac tester isn't leaking, my brand new mityvac did out of the box but a strip down and a few wraps of ptfe tape on the gauge thread fixed it.

Once you know the tester is good (try it under water) then move on to your block off plates and make sure they are sealed properly, then look elsewhere

Soapy water in a spray bottle is your best friend for finding leaks, big bucket of water works too

I'm not an expert but your problem doesnt sound like an airleak issue either but it's never wasted time checking

As I understand it with ebay, if you paid via paypal and you're not happy and its not as described, ie running properly, then it's irrelevant whether he accepts returns or not, not sure how you stand after trying to fix it yourself

I'm the same though, I'd fix it myself if I thought it was a small issue

First step would be to make absolutely sure your press/vac tester isn't leaking, my brand new mityvac did out of the box but a strip down and a few wraps of ptfe tape on the gauge thread fixed it.

Once you know the tester is good (try it under water) then move on to your block off plates and make sure they are sealed properly, then look elsewhere

Soapy water in a spray bottle is your best friend for finding leaks, big bucket of water works too

I'm not an expert but your problem doesnt sound like an airleak issue either but it's never wasted time checking

I think eBay would force him to take the return also.

But I like the saw, and would prefer to keep it.

I don't think it's an air leak, but I want to make sure before I continue on. I think it's a carburator issue myself.

Was having some problems with my 372, decided I needed another chainsaw for my growing CAD and bought a 346xp off eBay. Always wanted one.

First thing out of the way. I'm vacuum / pressure testing it right now. If I pressurize the crankcase to 10psi it drops to 9 psi in 25-30 seconds. I think the leak may be in my decompression valve plug, as I had to use a bolt with a homemade tubing spacer to get it plugged. Is that an acceptable loss, or do I need to stop and buy a better bolt plug for another attempt? I don't know where the leak is for sure, or how fast a good saw will leak down. This is my first time testing.

Second, here's what happened.

Saw came in the mail. Put it together, everything looked good. Went outside and started cutting. Ran perfect for about 10 minutes then started shutting off, acting like it was starving for fuel. It will sputter if I push the primer bulb, and maybe run for 2-3 seconds, but that's it.

This is the first thing I'm checking. Wanted to verify a good seal before looking elsewhere.

Thanks.

03cff648bde27e6b742df75d41dbfb97.jpg

Did the pressure hold at 9 psi? I usually test at 7psi and look for it to hold for a minute or so. Like others stated you can submerge it in a bucket of water and do the test. That will definitely make it easier to find any leaks. I'm agreeing with others that it is likely a garb issue. Normally air leaks show up in erratic idling or inability to hold o tune.

Did the pressure hold at 9 psi? I usually test at 7psi and look for it to hold for a minute or so. Like others stated you can submerge it in a bucket of water and do the test. That will definitely make it easier to find any leaks. I'm agreeing with others that it is likely a garb issue. Normally air leaks show up in erratic idling or inability to hold o tune.

It slowly dropped to 4 or 5 I think. I'll know more tomorrow, but it was dropping for sure.

Latest posts

Back