359/357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 359 is everybit as fast as a 357, I have shown that lots of times, you donot port the saws the same cause there is alot of differences in them, that 359 that won the last GTG only turns 13900 rpm's out of the wood but holds that rpm pretty steady in the wood only loosing a couple hundred . That 357 that got 2nd was turning 14500 rpm's so no higher that stock rpm out of the wood, As far as the 359 holding up , well I have built enough of them now that if there was going to be a problem it would of shown up by now and the Husky dealer here has blown up a few stock 359/357 saws and the saws I have done for him have never had any problems period, so I am getting lots of work from them also, I feel it is far better to make a saw cut fast using torque over rpm's because it will last a lot longer because you are not beating the crap out of the crank and piston, the 346's only turn 14250 rpm's as well , the 088's were set at 12800 rpm so you can see none of them are screamers but they hold there rpm in the wood very high and donot lay down in the cut unless you have them set to lean, now on the smaller stihl's like the 260 yes they do turn a pretty high rpm, 15000, to 16000 rpm's cause they needs to , and the 361 turns 14500 rpm's and cut very fast, I have built quiet afew 357's but for every 357 I have built 3 or 4 359's and some are being run as firewood saws which I feel is the hardest thing on a saw besides milling

weimdog, I don't know for sure since I haven't seen the homelites of which you speak but yes I think that's what they call open transfers. I was just curious how they figured into the sceme of things. John

Yesterday I made a comparison between a stock 359 and an EHP359. Both saws used the same sprocket, bar, chain and wood. The stock saw was pretty much right out of the box, but I did seat the H screw after only half a tank. The EHP 359 had approx 3 tanks of fuel thru it. The stock saw was almost one second behind the modified saw.
John

Last edited:
I have a new 359. I love it - Lots of power and I have found it easy to start. Especially after its warm, restarts typically in one pull. I think its a great saw and for the price about 120 less than the 357 PLUS I also got two extra chains (50$ value)at no cost!

John, that sharpening book you bought from Marky Mark sure looks like it is worth every penny! That is some fast!

brent denny said:
Finally, I see a lot of 359's going for good prices on ebay but most of them are e-tech models (cat. converter). Has anyone with an e-tech had any issues with it? I have heard that they may be harder to start but that could just be the user. I appreciate any opinions.

I had an e-tech model for a while. It had problems that the guys and "service dept" at Lowes couldn't figure out, so they replaced it w/another one with the same problem. I talked to the manager of that dept. the other day about that same model, and he said that for some reason the e-tech version of that saw had some problems. Said that Husky were cranking them through the assembly line real fast w/out evaluating them, and a whole lot had the same problem. One of them would scream through walnut, and had plenty of power to weight ratio for a good all around saw. I wish mine kept going like a timex, and I'd still have it. One more thing. The grip engagement lever, or whatever they call it. You know, the grip switch. It broke off first day. It wasn't dropped, or dropped on, so it must have been either cracked when I bought it, or made of some very fragile plastic. Fragile as a french crepe. I've heard good reports about the same model, w/the standard non-cat muffler/ non-etech.
Hope this helps.

Back