359 Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfitz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchaesd a new Husky 359 a couple of months ago and
noticed that it really got hot around the forward handle grip
above the muffler after a few minutes use. Friend of mine suggested
changing out the muffler to an earlier non-epa type,which I did, and
readjusted the carb after getting past the limiters,I just cut the tabs
down and richened up the mix just a bit. Easy job, took about fifteen
minutes total, and the power differance is far superior. Got the muffler
from Bailey's. The engine runs much cooler now, along with the added power.
For those not terribly mechanically inclined, it really is a no brainer to
do, I am a musician by trade and even I managed the change out.

mods

Welcome aboard!Check out muff mods in search.You will even get better performance run cooler more HP.But it will get a lot louder!
Ed

You said you got the muffler from Baileys...I called them last week and all the mufflers they had for the 359 were the catalytic mufflers. Husky/Jred have not made the non-cat muffler available in the States for quite some time.

So my question is: WHO DO YOU KNOW AT BAILEYS????

wood_newbie said:
You said you got the muffler from Baileys...I called them last week and all the mufflers they had for the 359 were the catalytic mufflers. Husky/Jred have not made the non-cat muffler available in the States for quite some time.

I do not know any person there, I ordered part number 50391750101
and they sent it to me about a week and a half later direct from a
Husky wharehouse, not from Bailey's wharehouse.

wood_newbie said:

You want a replacement muffler for a 357XP or pre-E
Tech 359. Gregg Grande is one of Bailey's saw wizards. You can get a hold of him above in the sponsor's forum under Bailey's. Good dude.

dgfitz said:
and
I just cut the tabs down and richened up the mix just a bit. Easy job, took about fifteen minutes total, and the power differance is far superior.
Did you have to adjust both jets? And if so, about how much? Sorry for the pesky questions. I just ordered the parts to change mine to non cat and I'm looking for a good starting point. Any info will be appreciated.

outdoortype said:
Did you have to adjust both jets? And if so, about how much? Sorry for the pesky questions. I just ordered the parts to change mine to non cat and I'm looking for a good starting point. Any info will be appreciated.

Yea, I adjusted both jets, about three degrees counter clockwise richer at first, then leaned the high speed jet back maybe one degree. I might add that I warmed up the saw to operating temp before I made the adjustments, and that
I had mixed my fuel to 40:1 ratio. You need to to be slow on those adjustments
and take your time, a little movement goes a long way. The sound will be louder, but the vibes should still be the same. I use ear muffs whenever I use any two stroker, saves my ears for my occupation, and is certainly less tiring.
Hope this helps.

dgfitz,
Thanks for the info. It's nice to have an idea of a starting point. I'm just debating on whether I should wait until Jan when the warranty expires or going ahead with it. I'm just hoping my muffler isn't backordered.

wood_newbie said:

The non-cat mufflers are still available. Keep in mind that the 357 still comes with the regular muffler.

outdoortype said:
Buy a tach from Bailey's. It eliminates a lot of guessing and doubt. You will know exactly how many RPMs the saw is turning at wide open throttle. It doesn't take much movement of the mixture screws to affect your saw's performance and life. Besides, you have already got the saw bug and will be buying more saws as time goes on and you can use it on those too.

I've modded my 359 with a 1/2 inch hole in the center of the muffler and brazed on a screen. It has perked up, but now I have to watch the logs while I saw as to make sure I don't catch anything on fire. I am surprized that the exhausts is that hot and I have started to get some oak charing. I'm thinking about putting on a deflector, but I'm not sure which way to direct the flow. The stock 359 isn't all that impressive compared to my old 55 with 51 cc's, but now that I have opened up the muffler I'm satisfied. I still need to do some more adjusting with the carburetor. Don't wait to modify your muffler.

Urbicide said:
You want a replacement muffler for a 357XP or pre-E
Tech 359. Gregg Grande is one of Bailey's saw wizards. You can get a hold of him above in the sponsor's forum under Bailey's. Good dude.

Thanks for the tip...he did indeed confirm that the part number mentioned in an earlier post is the non-cat version, and I already have it ordered. Baileys is shipping it directly to the other site sponsor for the dual-port modification, and I can't wait to get it back. I feel like Tim Allen already.

Anyone know how I can increase the spark voltage to 24???

Evin said:
The stock 359 isn't all that impressive compared to my old 55 with 51 cc's, but now that I have opened up the muffler I'm satisfied. I still need to do some more adjusting with the carburetor. Don't wait to modify your muffler.

Evin, what's your take on the model 55? I have heard that it was a great saw. I was trying to get a 55 rancher to complement my 359, but by the time I could afford one they were discontinued. So I bought a Stihl MS310. It's a good saw, but doesn't have the feel of the Husky's. My stock 359 seems to have plenty of power with a 16" or 18" bar.

Anyone know how I can increase the spark voltage to 24???

wood newbie, i dont think you want 24 volts. the secondary is already in the 10-20 thousand volt range!!!

1953greg said:
wood newbie, i dont think you want 24 volts. the secondary is already in the 10-20 thousand volt range!!!

"Yeah, but it's not the volts, it's the amps!" :laugh:

(I think that was Billy Crystal, but I can't remember exactly.)

Hey OutdoorType... I loved my Husky 55 it was my first saw. That is until I ran some bad gas through it and needed to do a overhaul on the top end with a friend here. My 55 was the plain old 55 in 2000 that had the smaller closed port 51cc with a 45 mm piston. I know that other years had the 53cc and the 46 mm piston and when I did the overhaul I ended up with a 46mm piston with an open port cylinder. I have not seen that much gain from the little change. I believe that the 55 is around 13 lbs with bar and chain so both are comparable. I have 20 inch bars on both saws and I keep the chains sharp. I do think that I would like a light saw around 7 lbs to do the limbing. Overall I think that 55 is a great saw and I would recommend it to everyone.

Thanks Evin,
I always wondered about the 55. I picked a non e-tech muffler from the local husky store & was reminded why I couldn't get a 55R-probably not even back in it's heyday. The local dealer only had the 137 & smaller saws. Friendly people but no selection.

Back