36" Alaskan Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the 36" alaskan and mounted it on a 660. I would like to know if clamping over the joint toward the tip of the bar will cause any problems. I can move the clamp back a little and miss the joint but it will cut down on my width of cut. Any help is appreciated. Jgoodwin

Welcome to AS!

Shouldn't hurt as long as the clamp pads are solid (I believe Alaskan's are). What brand/ type of bar are you using?

36" alaskan mill

It's a Stihl Rollomatic ES 24". Thought I'd start with some small pine logs to get
the feel of milling. I'm gonna take it slow. It's my first time with a big saw and a mill. I'll probably waste all day worrying and being cautious. I've read every thing on this site for over a year. We'll see how much of it I retained before the
day is over. I've got my mobile phone and 911 on hold. Thanks jgoodwin

Welcome to AS!

Shouldn't hurt as long as the clamp pads are solid (I believe Alaskan's are). What brand/ type of bar are you using?

Don't want to be in the position of disagreeing with my buddy aggie, but when I put my alaskan on my 28" Rollmatic bar for the first time couple years ago, I clamped it near the end of that bar not knowing better, and the chain would hardly move. Moved it back behind the sprocket and then it was fine. The pressure of the clamp was keeping the chain from spinning around the end of the bar freely. Experiment yourself... stick it on and see if you can spin that chain by hand, and if it binds then move it down a little at a time till it's free.

Don't want to be in the position of disagreeing with my buddy aggie, but when I put my alaskan on my 28" Rollmatic bar for the first time couple years ago, I clamped it near the end of that bar not knowing better, and the chain would hardly move. Moved it back behind the sprocket and then it was fine. The pressure of the clamp was keeping the chain from spinning around the end of the bar freely. Experiment yourself... stick it on and see if you can spin that chain by hand, and if it binds then move it down a little at a time till it's free.

Disagree all you like! I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again. You won't hurt my feelings.:cheers:

When I read his question I pictured the clamp to be covering the joint between the tip and bar but not all the way out on the roller nose. I should have been more clear but thanks for pointing it out. It could have caused a bad day for Mr. Goodwin.

36" alaskan mill

Thanks aggie & woodshop. Aggie you had it right. It was in that joint but I
moved it back just to be on the safe side. Everything went fine. Just slow due
to being old, cautious, ignorant and scared. The saw just blew through the soft pine. Nothing broke anyway. I checked and I still have all the skin left on my body that I started with. I'll get the hang of it. When I get to real milling on the hardwood I'll post some pics.

Glad you got it going Jgoodwin. A big saw will blow through soft pine or poplar, almost not fair to the wood :laugh: Don't be timid though, stick that clamp out near the very end like aggie says and try it, it might work and you'll get an extra few inches if you need it. No harm done because you can tell right away as soon as you clamp it and try to pull that chain around with your hand if it's going to bind or not.

Latest posts

Back