361 spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finally gave up on the 032 (after 20+ years) and bought a new ms361.
I'll probably do a muffler mod on it eventually but for now its a great saw. The only thing I see wrong is that the spikes are just a little short. Anyone know of an aftermarket set or a switchable set from another saw. They need to be just a bit longer for some of the stuff I cut

I've got a couple of pics on here of my 361, first with dogs from a 660 that I modified, and then with a set of aftermarket dogs (for a 460/660) that I modded to fit. I'm at work right now, but when I get home, I'll see if I can't do a search and find them for you. Or if you beat me to it, do a search for "361" on here, and you'll find a couple of threads in which they reside.

Jeff

Here's a thread in which I posted links for that guy as well.

You can fit pretty much any Stihl dog on a 361 with minimal metalwork with ease. The problem comes with when you try to mount the matching outter dog and have them line up. To just bolt them on, the outter dog will want to sit well ahead of the inner dog. I think the best fitting, strongest dog is from an 056. It'll bolt on with very little grinding and it looks and work well on the 361.

Jeff

Stihl also has a replacement chain catcher for use with bars longer than 20" that comes in the form of inner and outer dogs with the roller chain catcher at the bottom (part #1135 650 7750). The spikes aren't any bigger, though, but it gets you a pair instead of just the one inner dog.

attachment.php

musher said:
Stihl also has a replacement chain catcher for use with bars longer than 20" that comes in the form of inner and outer dogs with the roller chain catcher at the bottom (part #1135 650 7750). The spikes aren't any bigger, though, but it gets you a pair instead of just the one inner dog

These are what I use... Unless you're wrestling with thick (2+ inches) doug fir bark, they work just great.

Jeff and Andy...thanks. You two are a real resource for this kind of stuff and I appreciate it.
Musher, thanks for the diagram.
Lousy weather here this week...good excuse to head for the shop:)

Very cool. I have a couple of questions. So its made to fit the 361, i.e., direct bolt on? If so, how do I order one and its approximate cost? Do I call Stihl with the part number or can it be ordered from the website?

Greg

The part I listed? Yes, its for the MS361. It does involve some drilling, but nothing difficult.

Go to your local Stihl dealer to order any parts.

musher,

You mentioned this additional dog and chain catcher is for bars over 20". My 361 has a 20" bar. OK to use on it?

Greg

It wouldn't do any harm. It just isn't necessary. The idea is that the built-in chain catcher isn't sufficient for the longer chains on bars over 20".

musher said:
It wouldn't do any harm. It just isn't necessary. The idea is that the built-in chain catcher isn't sufficient for the longer chains on bars over 20".

Why do you think it's for bars over 20 inches? Stihl rates this saw up to 28 inches, and without the dual dogs/roller/ Have I missed something in the Stihl literature?

I prefer the roller to the "standard" chain catcher for any size bar..

BTW, for those that haven't seen this kit, the "drilling" is just to punch through the blind holes in the side cover - real simple.

While we're all talking about this and the drilling going on, I've got a clutch cover for a 361, with chip deflector if anyone is interested. I don't figure there's enough interest to start a thread in the Trading Post, but for those of you; reading this thread, well it's available. I also have a set of 660 factory dogs that are already drilled and ready for the 361 and line up on a factory clutch cover. Make me an offer should you be interested in either.

Jeff

Lakeside53 said:
Why do you think it's for bars over 20 inches? Stihl rates this saw up to 28 inches, and without the dual dogs/roller/ Have I missed something in the Stihl literature?

I prefer the roller to the "standard" chain catcher for any size bar..

BTW, for those that haven't seen this kit, the "drilling" is just to punch through the blind holes in the side cover - real simple.

Because that's what Stihl says in TSB 10.2004:

A roller-type chain catcher is now available as a special accessoryfor the MS 361 and MS 361 C chainsaws. The roller-type chain catcher (1) can be used in combination with long bar lengths (over 20 in).

Nothing precludes using it with shorter bars. If I had it installed, I certainly wouldn't remove it just because I'm using a shorter bar. I assume its just to offer a beefier chain-catcher for the longer chain lengths.

I guess I didn't read it the same way you did - it's an option kit, not a requirement, but a damn good option anyhow!! it's on my saw. Pity it wasn't standard. The 036 and 034 never had this option.

Ive been following this thread wondering if this "kit" will fit my 034 super, guess not. Anyone know if the set on my 064 fits the 034? looks like it might (if I remember correctly)

Lakeside53 said:
I guess I didn't read it the same way you did - it's an option kit, not a requirement, but a damn good option anyhow!! it's on my saw. Pity it wasn't standard. The 036 and 034 never had this option.

I can see how it can be read differently. I also agree that it isn't really a requirement, but certainly a recommendation. I'll probably be seeing one on my saw real soon too. Next trip to my dealer, I'll have to have them order it for me (at MSRP, of course). I'll also have to see if they'll deal with me on parts prices, since I've spent more than $1000 with them in the past year.

PWB said:
Ive been following this thread wondering if this "kit" will fit my 034 super, guess not. Anyone know if the set on my 064 fits the 034? looks like it might (if I remember correctly)

I would guess that it would fit your 034 better than the 064 kit would. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the 064 dogs are the same or similar to the 066 dogs, which need to be modded to fit. Some judicious grinding and a drill press willl get it done for you. Each dog will fit individually, but they don't line up fore and aft in stock form.

Jeff

PWB said:

I hadn't thought about it, but it just might... I'll drag one off the shelf later in the week and see it it matches up...

musher and Lakeside53,

I just ordered the kit for my 361 and had my dealer fax the parts list and schematic to me. From the diagram, it looks like the dogs in the kit are larger than the stock one that came on my saw. I asked my dealer and he agreed. Are they larger (would help) or is the drawing not precise?

Also, will my saw still sit on the flat bottom of the motor housing and not the roller/catcher once installed? It kind of looks like the catcher sits considerably lower than the bar.

Finally, do you remove the factory catcher once the roller catcher is added?

Thanks,

Greg

Back