365, 371, 372 etc inlet duct mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUSSIE1

Al.
Reaction score
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
There has been alot of modding on these models lately so this might be of some benefit to some.
This is what I do to the inlet duct on these models and others actually like the 385/90 etc.
I scuff up the area to be epoxied with a diamond bit (A Oxide bit will do) and use fuel friendly plastic epoxy.
We port our saws and clean up imperfections but neglect this side of the system. A bit of cleaning up of the shafts and plate screws doesn't go astray either.
In this pic I soldered the hole in the choke plate and cut the side.

DSCF2690.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Nice Al and funny you should bring this up now.

I had the inlet tract apart on a certain 7901 last night and have the old air filter adapter sitting right here.

Dolmar use a PA6 G30 plastic which is a high temp 30% glass filled nylon (PA = Polyamide = nylon) for all their mouldings and apparently it's tough to get a good adhesion on.
After doing lots of searching last nigh I was thinking of getting a plastic welder to build it up in the areas I wanted and then grind to shape.
No chance of something coming adrift down the track then.

Last edited:
Nice Al and funny you should bring this up now.

I had the inlet tract apart on a certain 7901 last night and have the old air filter adapter sitting right here.

Dolmar use a PA6 G30 plastic which is a high temp 30% glass filled nylon (PA = Polyamide = nylon) for all their mouldings and apparently it's tough to get a good adhesion on.
After doing lots of searching last nigh I was thinking of getting a plastic welder to build it up in the areas I wanted and then grind to shape.
No chance of something coming adrift down the track then.

Yeah mate, adhesion is a concern on this side of the system. I tried it on the 365 to start with and yeah, she's stuck fast, with the 371 and 385 done also.

I cleaned up a 394 duct last week and it's surprising how bad these and other ducts are cast and could benefit from some cleanup.

Could you try scuffing an outside area to see how it would adhere?

I have on old intake I can use, there are a few bits left over from the filter swap :D

What epoxy are you using ATM ?

Belzona apparently make some excellent ones for re-shaping transfers, etc, supposedly better than JB Weld but i don't know if we can get it here.

I always used to use one of Devcon's epoxies, but a few reckon JB is better ??

I have on old intake I can use, there are a few bits left over from the filter swap :D

What epoxy are you using ATM ?

Belzona apparently make some excellent ones for re-shaping transfers, etc, supposedly better than JB Weld but i don't know if we can get it here.

I always used to use one of Devcon's epoxies, but a few reckon JB is better ??

It's a plastic epoxy/filler I purchased from Supercheap.

Third one down Rick Dynagrip "plastic weld".

http://www.noelsautoparts.com.au/Dynagrip Products.htm

There was a similar product there like Selley's or loctite that was a more common brand but can't think of it ATM.

I've got a Loctite two part epoxy here (324 i think, unless it's been chucked), Loctite Liquid Metal for repairing worn shafts, 3M 2216BA structural adhesive (in the freezer) for gluing aeroplanes and race cars together and something else, can't recall ATM. :D

Generally epoxies don't bond well to nylon, that's why I thought I'd just get the neck plastic welded/filled where I wanted and shape to suit, if the grinder will grind it OK and i can sort of polish it to a reasonable finish.

What benefit do you get by restricting the intake? I am new and want to learn as much as I can.

I put it down to every little bit helps mate.

Absolutely!!!

Al
Whats the story with the toys in the picture ?
Is that some of Your work equipment.

Latest posts

Back