365xp opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methoss084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I set up a 365xp with a 20" bar for a customer the other day and was very impressed with the size and power to weight ratio. Does anyone have one of these? If so, what do you think of it?

Ther great saws, and we have customers running as big as 28 in, bars down here in the mid Miss. area. The only problem I've had with the 365 is a hessitation from idle to top speed, but the quick and easy fix for that is to reset the neddle higher, but be careful not to open it up to much and make the carb flood. After you do that the 365 shoul;d not give you and probs. from now on...

I noticed the same hesitation from idle to high speed, It seemed to clear up after a couple test cuts (when warm). THANX C.A.R.B!

great saw im sure but i dont even know why its made. the 365 and the 362xp put out less power (4.6hp for the 362xp and the 365 vs. 5.4hp) than the 372xp for .2lbs difference in weight. the 365 has a zama carb instead of the 362xp and the 372 which have the same walbro HD12 carb.

$20 price difference between the 372 and the 362 $59 between the 359 and the 372xp. go figure.:blob2:

Methos084 That four letter word you just mentioned is the worst thing to happen to power equipment that I have ever witnessed!!

enough is enough put the screw back on and leave us hard working wrench heads lone.

Lazerman, I totally agree, put the screw(s) back on the carbs and
and get rid of the Zamas for god sake, they are useless!
On another subject, why does Husky have so many saws that are so close together in both size and horsepower? Is it just more marketing?

Many models

I always wonder the same thing. I can't see how producing so many models can be cost effective. All that tooling has to be amortized, engineering resources spread out, raw sub assembly and part logistics nightmares, and on and on.

I would think being confronted with so many choices would also confuse the customer.

I can tell you for sure that there is at lot of confusion amoung customers about what are full pro models in most brands. There are a lot of customers being told their getting "top of the line" when they are not.

They need to "lean out" and produce higher volumes of fewer models.

Pretty simple as far as Husky goes, if it is an XP model its a pro model.
Stihl is all balled up. Now the even numbers are pro but it hasnt always been that way. 075, 051, 045, etc, and with the new numbering system you have to look at the middle number instead of the last one
Jonsered is even worse, I wont know how the average Joe would figure them out.
Poulan just plain sucks, has no pro models
Homelite is a joke, if its made of metal and heavy it must be a pro model
Dolmar I have no idea, depends on what power tool company owns them
John Deere you have to know Italian to know if something is pro or not.
McCulloch------:laugh: please
The "Eager Beaver" is their top seller.

I always tell people if a saw has a nickname it is a piece of crap
Wild Thing
Bad Boy
Eager Beaver
Farm Boss
Timber Master
Bandit
Team Realtree
What ones am I forgetting guys?

I always tell people if a saw has a nickname it is a piece of crap

Dang Huskyman. I've nicknamed my saw "Orange Thunder" and it's a long way from being a piece of crap:)

The rule only applies to saws named from the factory. Your saw is safe Mike. Red Lightning would be an exception I suppose.
I think Homelite has a "ranger" that is a POS

Huskyman I totally agree about the nickname thing, especially the wild thing, and with Tim Allen's face on the box! I was laughing my ass off! But I must disagree with one name on the list
"FarmBoss" I still love my 041FB. It's heavy and it's not fast but it starts and runs all day long when I need it to.:D

the 041 is the best stihl i have ever run aprt from the 066 - and the 041 was probably close to 20 years old (it still ran fine) - both will be eaten for breakfast by their husky equivalents though:blob2: or for lunch, brunch, dinner etc...

otto
It is true that todays Husky equivalents will out cut the old 041s.But 20 years ago that was not the case.That 041 would out cut the same size Husky.
Later
Dan

yes - times have changed but the story remains the same:) todays stihls seem to post little more opposition.

by the way - huskyman you say its as easy to tell a pro model as looking if the designation has xp on it..i know this is the case today - i recall the husky 365 special to have the quad transfer ports that are so descriptive of the xp series. is there any other features that makes a 365 special a non-pro model?:confused:

041's it is , eh

Groan, that brings back less than stellar memories.

My second tree job, back in '77, the largest saw the boss had was an 041 with a 24-28 inch bar. "Paul Bunyan Forest Co", run by a woman, her husband had died a year before I started. He had started out in the fifties, and used big hand buck saws, rather than a chain saw, in the trees. A couple years later, I got an 045 Super, as she was too tight too spring for a "big" saw.

That company has certainly not kept up with the times, they havent changed their ad in 25 years, it still says topping, pruning, surgery. LOL. I cant believe I stayed there seven years. All before I ever heard of the ISA, etc.

Speaking of topping, thats what we're finishing manana, for a customer I had back then. He owns an entire hillside, and has to preserve his awesome Lake Washington, Cascade Mts. view. So every four- six years, he forces me to retop his bigleaf maple. surprisingly, most are hanging in pretty well, with minimal decay and decline. just lots of 25 foot tall vigorous resprouts.

I used to do more of this work, but don't mind if my customer base of that work dwindles. I hate doing it for sure, even on scrub trees. Lots of it in Puget Sound region, as the views here are certainly the best in North America. Windowing is certainly preferred, especially on conifers, but not normally an option on previously topped trees, or leafy dense maple canopies.

:(

I dont know why the 365 is not an XP, but for whatever reason it does not put out the power per cc as the other saws.
357XP - 4.4hp 56.5 cc
362XP - 4.6hp 62.4 cc
365 - 4.6hp 65cc
372XP - 5.4hp 70.7 cc

So I would venture to say it does not have the quad loop design but probably shares other parts like cranks and such and gives the customer a saw with more cc's for less price. Since it shares other components like carbs and casings it probably does not cost hardly any more to build

Latest posts

Back