371xp came in today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I received my first project saw. I purchased it last week off Ebay and have been waiting for it to come in. So today was like Christmas. I opened the box and it contained the power head, bar (fairly worn), and chain (fairly dull). Once out I went about inspecting it. So far everything looked just as described. There is a little plastic damage and it is not the prettiest thing in the world, but who cares. I did not buy it to win any beauty contest with.

I had been told by the seller that they were having problems keeping it running. I figured that this was more than likely something to do with the carb. Also, the boot had come off the spark plug wire and it was not making a good connection.

I gave it a quick couple of pulls with the wire detached and it seemed to have good compression. I pulled the top plastics, chain brake handle, air filter, spark plug, clutch cover, and muffler. The piston and cylinder looked shinny and I could see no scoring (2 ring piston). I put the muffler back on with a few other things and headed up to the shop where my buddy works.

We took the saw to the back. First I wanted to check the compression to see if it was even worth doing anything else today. After 5 pulls the compression was 150 psi. We decided that was pretty good given that this is a 10 year old, well used saw. Then I had him install a new spring and boot on the wire. While he was at it he checked the spark, and it was fine. The air filter was in good shape as was the fuel filter.

We put a little mix in the tank and took it out back. He pulled it about 5 times and got nothing. A shot of gas in the carb and 2 more pulls and we were off and running. He spent about 10 minutes adjusting the idle, and L/H. We went ahead and removed the limiter caps so that we could get it where we wanted. I was planning on rebuilding the carb, but he said there was not reason to.

So I am very excited and a little disappointed all at the same time. Not really the project that I had expected. An hour after USPS dropped it off it was running like a scalded dog. This thing seems really strong. All I need is a new b/c and maybe a couple other minor things. So far it seems like a good saw for just a little over $200.

Adam

No worries, just buy a couple more off Ebay. If they turn out to be such poor projects also then start buying lottery tickets instead! :angel: You must use your good luck to your benefit while you can as it will not last forever.

Kind of funny actually - even when someone gets a good saw of Ebay, it's still a problem! LOL

Enjoy your find...

Yeah I think you are right. Now I just need to fine tune the carb. Right now it does not really four stroke wide open. According to the manual I need to turn the H counter clockwise until it burbles but does not smoke.

I guess I will go try that now.

Adam

I have the shop manual but can not seem to find the IPL for the saw. Behind the recoil assembly there is a thin plastic piece that guides the plug wire around the fins. Does anyone know where I could order this piece from?

Thanks,

Adam

I would call Bailey's. It would give you a good excuse to pick up some other items that you can't live without. If you need some suggestions just let me know. I am an expert at spending someone else's money.:D

I was actually planning on getting a few things from there very soon. Please tell me what it is I should get. :popcorn:

Adam

I have the shop manual but can not seem to find the IPL for the saw. Behind the recoil assembly there is a thin plastic piece that guides the plug wire around the fins. Does anyone know where I could order this piece from?

Thanks,

Adam

You shold be able to find that part on ebay too, they are on there all the time. If not try some of the site sponsers if no luck try psep.biz or jackssmallengines.com. Should be able to pick one up for around $15.00 or less new.

Oops, wrong site, that's for the workshop manual. Saw Troll can probably chime in and help here.

I'm looking at the Bailey's catalog, and there's a set of "Pro Safety Heavy Duty Felling Dogs" for $27. I think you need them. They may not be practical for the cutting you'll be doing (or maybe they would be?), but they would make the saw look more menacing and add to it's total sweetness factor.

I'm looking at the Bailey's catalog, and there's a set of "Pro Safety Heavy Duty Felling Dogs" for $27. I think you need them. They may not be practical for the cutting you'll be doing (or maybe they would be?), but they would make the saw look more menacing and add to it's total sweetness factor.

I was wondering when someone would jump in that boat. Thanks, I will look into that. :)

Adam

I know you mentioned you also needed a new b/c - check on their website, I don't know what they have left because they said limited quantities, but they had some smoking deals on some closeout bars, and also the best prices I have found on Carlton and Oregon chains.

if you want a project you can still have one.

the 372 is just a 371 with some updates.one was the cylinder gasket is thicker on the 372 and the oil pump was updated.so was the coil but i'd run the blue one til it goes.i would still rebuild that carb and check and/or replace the fuel line for peace of mind.a lot cheaper than a piston and cylinder.get the # of the carb and see your Stihl dealer.carb kits are quite a bit cheaper in the Stihl kits.

the 372 is just a 371 with some updates.one was the cylinder gasket is thicker on the 372 and the oil pump was updated.so was the coil but i'd run the blue one til it goes.i would still rebuild that carb and check and/or replace the fuel line for peace of mind.a lot cheaper than a piston and cylinder.get the # of the carb and see your Stihl dealer.carb kits are quite a bit cheaper in the Stihl kits.

More than likely I will rebuild the carb. I was planning on ordering a new bar and a couple of chains off Baileys tonight. I will probably also pick up a fuel line and a rebuild kit if they have it. Also, the coil is black, not blue. I believe that is the non limited one. Is that correct?

I know I will more than likely need a new clutch cover. The one that is on it is cracked and it sure does let alot of bar oil ooze out. Sure is funny how the bar oil goes in clean and 2 minutes latter comes out black and nasty.

When I received it the oiler was turned all the way up. Even after turning it down it appears to be slinging alot of oil. I guess I would rather have alot then too little.

Adam

Back