372xp leaking fuel when on it’s side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nraws

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m decent with saw maintenance, but before I tear this thing down…
I regrettably had to get a loan on one of my saws at a pawn shop a couple months ago, and forgot to drain the gas before I left it there, I got it back today and it started fine, ran fine, but I got it home and had it laying on its side and noticed after awhile it was leaking gas onto the floor. I got this saw for free from someone who claimed it “wouldn’t run anymore”, I adjusted the carb and hot-soaked it with Seafoam and it runs fine, the piston and cylinder are perfect. I never had any kind of issue with it leaking anything before I left it at the pawn shop, but I’m not sure if it’s maintenance before I’ve owned it. Gauging off the guy I got it from, probably little to none. It’s had avaiation gas sitting in it the entire time, it’s leaking from the circled area, you can see where the liquid is coming from. Please tell me it’s just a fuel line or something simple 😅 I’ve never had this saw apart before so I don’t know the in’s and outs of it, but I love this thing and want it back in working order asap and would like to avoid a bunch of “trial and error”. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 224EDBF2-A12A-44EC-8673-B0E5D09D761F.jpeg
    224EDBF2-A12A-44EC-8673-B0E5D09D761F.jpeg
    825.6 KB · Views: 8
Could be the tank vent, it'll be back there somewhere if your saw's an OE 372. You should see either a white disc in a recess in the tank or a hole in the tank, if it's the former your vent should be fine, if it's the latter you need a new vent disc. If you have an xt your vent will be some weird tube thingy which I know nothing about.

Could be the tank vent, it'll be back there somewhere if your saw's an OE 372. You should see either a white disc in a recess in the tank or a hole in the tank, if it's the former your vent should be fine, if it's the latter you need a new vent disc. If you have an xt your vent will be some weird tube thingy which I know nothing about.
She’s an older one I’m assuming, idk if you know anything by serial numbers but here’s a picture

Attachments

• E7C2E600-0AC7-4E27-A2A8-7CDB353CCA6F.jpeg
    E7C2E600-0AC7-4E27-A2A8-7CDB353CCA6F.jpeg
    736.6 KB · Views: 5
You need to separate the tank/rear handle from the motor. Probably find some you tube videos if not sure of how to tackle this project.
The company I work for is in good with the local husky dealer, so I know if it comes to it I can bring it there, but I’d like to figure it out on my own. I’m already into the YouTube rabbit hole haha

Actually it’s definitely the tank vent. After tearing it down far enough to expose it I can see the liquid trail. Thank you, sir.

I have a 365 special, does the same. It doesn't leak when upright but on its side , I don't think it leaks until its 3/4 full. I just fill or almost fill the tank quick at the finish and screw the cap on and upright it quick. Very little or no gas appears if I am paying attention to using this method. Might fix it someday at a convenient time being it hasn't been difficult using it as is. I usually don't fuel it until at the work site and use my old pickups tailgate for a bench.

Thanks for these replies. I was able to fix a 372xp I just picked up. I was told it was just in a saw shop, wanting to know which one so I don't go there. The tank vent wasn't hooked to the tank...

Back