394 and 395 Huskies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today I got a 394 and a 395 in trade for a dishwasher and $450. The 394 has a 30" Cannon bar and the 395 has a 36" Sugahari bar. The 395 is really clean and hasn't been used much, they both have good compression. What are the differences between the 394 and the 395 and what should I watch out for? Thank you, Jim.

My brother runs a 394 and I run a 395 but I don't remember what the diff is. Some sort of carb mount?

Both saws have been bombproof. The only thing that I've ever replaced is the outerbar plate which can get jamed with long shavings that sort of bend it till it tears a little. Only a problem because I cut sidegrain alot making long noodle shavings.

I love my 395. Only complaint is that especially with a 36 inch Canon bar it is a bit heavy. If someone stole it I would buy another 395.

394 is a great saw

I've been running an old 394 for many years now, and aside from replacing a fuel line that got a little brittle, it's been pretty much bullet proof, even in date palm base cuts. It's been so good to me that I rarely have to assemble the 088, as it does just fine in big wood.

Don't know about the 395, looks pretty much the same to me.

Great saw, work safe with it.

jomoco

I have had a 394 and now a 395.

Both are great saws - the 394 I simply wore out.

The only real difference seems to be in the area of the aircleaner/intake and possibly carb.

Plenty of grunt - I run a 22" bar which does 90% of the work - and also a 36" bar - but this does unbalance the saw and makes for hard work. Both saws run .404 chain (full cutters).

You will enjoy both of them, just keep them sharp.

The answer may at least partly be in the IPLs that are availiable trough Huskys website.

I would take a look at the fuel tanks (semi-transparent on the 395??) and chain tensioners.

Last edited:
In case it's helpful: When running 28 through 42 inch bars on my 395, I know I'll be using a 7 tooth sprocket (not an 8 tooth). So on the 395 I prefer to run one link less than the spec. (all 3/8) 104 for 32 inch, 114 for 36, etc.

With the 395 and these "shorter" chains it is still no problem to put new unstretched chains on. With my 066 I have to run all the drive links the bar specs to fit a new chain. Some folks that run the 066 and 395 only drop a dl on certain bar lengths to be able to run the same chain on both saws for convenience. For example the husky specs say 115 on a 36 inch bar, but I have absolutely no problem (even with new chains) running a 114 on the 395 which means I can swap with the 066.

That is a big savings for me because at any one time I have about a dozen chains made up for each bar size. And I run about 7 bar sizes and both .050 and .063 32 inch bars (which if I could start all over I would not do) so the fewer chains the better.

Back