395 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I got a 395 project off another member here. I cleaned up the cylinder and got a new muffler from Terry. I haven't decided what I'm really going to set it up for. I did get the timing numbers out of it with a base gasket in. The muffler is a jungle muffler with the pipe outlet. I was thinking about a muffler mod out the front also on it. I haven't seen any one else do that and was hoping for suggestions on it.

y4uqu6a2.jpg

Exhaust 104
Transfers 119
Intake 74
Squish .042"

I got a 395 project off another member here. I cleaned up the cylinder and got a new muffler from Terry. I haven't decided what I'm really going to set it up for. I did get the timing numbers out of it with a base gasket in. The muffler is a jungle muffler with the pipe outlet. I was thinking about a muffler mod out the front also on it. I haven't seen any one else do that and was hoping for suggestions on it.

y4uqu6a2.jpg

Exhaust 104
Transfers 119
Intake 74
Squish .042"

Looking forward to this build. Have you ever built one before? I hear they can really be turned up t scream. Numbers are not too bad to start what do you think you will try for numbers. Are you cutting the squish?

I did some port one to one I had before. Komatsuvarna has it and cut the squish band some. I'm not set on cutting it or even a popup yet. I don't want too crazy of compression in it in case I want to mill with it.

This might be built at Jeremy's pace. I'm working at home and feel like i have no time at all to do anything. I probably won't mill anything either hut don't want it to over heat running a 36" or longer bar buried in oak.

I mill regularly with a 394 that has 205 compression from a .030 pop up. It also sports a 42" a lot. Same saw won the dollar race at the IA gtg. You can find a healthy medium.

A friend mills with the first 394 that I did my first welded and raised exhaust port outlet with 0.030 out of the squish at 210 psi. He shows it no mercy and its still kicking. Just hit the blue button before pulling the rope.

Well then I'll probably add some compression to it then if you guys haven't had any trouble with them around 200 lbs.

Is there something more sought after about a 394 than a 395, or is it just that there are more 394's out there because they're older? It may just be me, but it seems as if people prefer a 394 to a 395. I recently acquired a 394 and it seems as if I hear more about them than the 395's. :confused:

They're nearly identical. The flywheel stub of the crank is larger on the 395, and it was upgrade from a bolt on intake block to a rubber intake, as found on most newer saws.

The crank flywheel side taper is the same but the 395 has smaller threads and a keyway made for the cast in key on the flywheel. The 394 uses the same crank as a 281/288 and has a woodruff key.

Is there anything "better" about one or the other. I know the intake differences, and the 395 has somewhat of a quad port design?

Is there anything "better" about one or the other. I know the intake differences, and the 395 has somewhat of a quad port design?

The 394 is a dual port, the 395 is a quad port just not base fed like you're used to seeing. I've heard people say that the 394 has more torque from the factory.

Well then I'll probably add some compression to it then if you guys haven't had any trouble with them around 200 lbs.

Cutting around 0.020" out of the squish band and setting the squish to 0.020" should put you right at 200 with around 159 degrees of exhaust duration.

Your stock numbers in duration are:
Ex 152
Tr 122
In 148
BD 15

I would probably raise the exhaust duration into the high 150's and raise the blowdown to around 18-19. Set the intake a few degrees under square as to not over feed the pig. That should give you a pretty well rounded saw judging from what I've done with 394's, I'm yet to port a 395 but I have 3 here to do eventually.

As for a muffler mods I've seen some pretty cool things done with tube style outlets to help with the loudness factor but still allowing good flow. Some old motorcross tricks Alex pulled out. I can explain it some night over the phone.

what is the measurement from the base of a 394/5 jug to the squish?

I'll get a measurement in a day or so when I pull the jug back off. I'm going to muffler mod it and run it a little and see how it does. It has one scratch above the exhaust port.

Thank you sir,
if it is junk I would love to take it off your hands i have i project i am dreaming up and I would like to take some measurements.
but for your sake I hope it turns out ok.

David.

I think it's going to be fine. It's very shallow and not all the way to the top.

I think it's going to be fine. It's very shallow and not all the way to the top.

Good deal!

I always wondered what the are like. Truth of the matter a ported 60cc is plenty around here 70 is just enough too much. 95cc ported would just be uncalled for. But I never said this chainsaw stuff had to be logical.

I use a ported 70cc saw for everything usually. I don't mind the weight for the power you get. A ported 90 cc saw will get a good hit of work done before you get tired.

Latest posts

Back