395xp bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetdirt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking at craigslist the other day and saw a Husqvarna 395xp for 350 bucks. I bought it. Its in near new condition, but it only has a 20 inch bar on it. I was thinking either 32 or 36 inch bar. what would be best? I would be cutting mainly oak, hickory and other hardwoods. Also what chain? I see full chisel and skip. Whats the difference and what would be best. What is normal compression for a 395? I checked it and it has 145psi. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Nice 395 great saw man. Depends if you wanna run a all around bar? Or change bar sizes often? Personally I like having more than a saw or two, and setup with different bars sizes. If you dont have that option find one that is comfortable. I like 28in-32 good all around. It is all preferance, and what you are comfortable with. I am shorter, and do not like 36in for me harder to keep outta the dirt, and nose heavy for me. But some guys love them it is what fits you, and the saw that matters. There are many types of chain, could be a very long discussion, again preference, and cutting conditoin. Full skip chisel is very popular, and I run it on everything. Quick, and easy way for you to get a visual, and understanding. Go to oregon, or a stihl web, and lookup there chains, and check that one it explains in real good detail good pics too. Probably easy than trying to explain, because if you dont know it it gives you all the step by step stuff. With compression I always go by pull on the cord feel. I have nver used a gauge, but I am no expert. For that saw may be a tad low not sure? There are compression experts on this site that can answer that for you dont know if any of that was helpful alot of guy's will brekdown the textbook stuff, thats good, but what matters most is what fits you. Get friendly, and frequent youre local saw shop, talk shop with em often. I have learned alot that way this site too, and of course trial, and error. Norm..........

350 bucks? Great snag!!!!!!:clap::clap:

145 is good, and should still pull very hard.

Dunno about your personal preferences, but the 20" run with full comp Chisel and an 8 Pin rim is hillarious fun.
If ya have a bunch of bucking to do on avg sized stuff, the 20 and an 8 pin will make it childs play. Adjust the rakers a little aggressive and let her eat!

On the longer bars I have tried a 28,32, and a 36.
The 36 wins for me as an all arounder.
Better reach for snipping limbs while standing upright and for some reason, I just like the balance better.

The 395 will pull 36" and full comp, but get it mostly buried and chip clearance issues become apparent, and It's also a PITA to file all those dadgum cutters.
I stick with the skip on anything over 24 even if it is somewhat slower.

Plain old Carlton/Baileys and Stihl skip chisel, have been about equal in speed and holding an edge, and both file about the same, so I save the $$ on the Carlton.

In the grungy stuff, or that Hickory, absolutely try a loop of the Carlton semi-chisel skip. Dosn't slow things down much and saves a bunch of filing over the full chisel. Dadgum shagbark around here gets filled up with sand and pebbles for some reason.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's a great price, congrats! I'm buying a 394xp soon, anyone know if it will run a 42 with full skip?

It might. :D

2009-09-24021.jpg

2009-09-25062.jpg

2009-09-25055.jpg

2009-09-25003.jpg

A warmed up 395 will pull a 42" full comp just fine. A stock one will be a little slower.

Back