395xp lackluster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel W

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 395xp with a 36” bar, which accordingly to last owner he only ran about 4 tanks through it.

I normally run a 461 with a max flow, bark box and 28” bar.

I don’t fall, I harvest wood for the sake of wood working so I primarily make ripping cuts.

Yesterday I ran them both through some walnut, ripping cuts. The stihl rarely bogged down, even if I leaned into it where the 395 felt slow and sluggish and bogged pretty easy, easier than the 461.

Maybe I’m not accustomed to a big saw but I expected more out of a 94cc saw.

What am I missing here?

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
I haven’t checked compression. I may take it to my local shop and have them look it over/tune it.

I hand filed the chain prior to use. Rakers aren’t exceptionally high

Attachments

• IMG_2379.jpeg
    IMG_2379.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I cut up a Cottonwood yesterday over 4 foot in diameter with my 395. It made quick work of it and I can’t imagine a better saw for a job like that. I’m always happy with its power, and when I have to do rip cutting or noodling, I feel like the saw was made for it. I’d check the tuning and chain.

Tune it. My 395 screams almost like a small saw with a good healthy 4 stroke pop pop.

You should tune your saw everytime you use it. Doesn't mean it will need a tweak but should be listening to its tune at all times

Mine rips a 36 buried with full comp like a 24. I'd say it would drag a 42 full comp happily too

Tune it. My 395 screams almost like a small saw with a good healthy 4 stroke pop pop.

You should tune your saw everytime you use it. Doesn't mean it will need a tweak but should be listening to its tune at all times

Mine rips a 36 buried with full comp like a 24. I'd say it would drag a 42 full comp happily too
It will. I run a 42 all the time, but I run skip. It would pull any chain though.

Even if that were the case it should stills stomp all over a 461 all day every day.
It would, but I would like to have 461 to compliment mine. They were fine saws. Last one I saw was in 2020 sitting on the shelf. Wish I would have bought it.

It will. I run a 42 all the time, but I run skip. It would pull any chain though.
I have a 42 sitting here for the odd occasion I need to max out the 36" mill, I have no issues with the 395 pulling it full comp or skip.
It would, but I would like to have 461 to compliment mine. They were fine saws. Last one I saw was in 2020 sitting on the shelf. Wish I would have bought it.
I'd rather a 462 given the choice, but the 461 was a good saw too. Certainly wouldn't turn my nose up to one if the price was right.

I have a 42 sitting here for the odd occasion I need to max out the 36" mill, I have no issues with the 395 pulling it full comp or skip.

I'd rather a 462 given the choice, but the 461 was a good saw too. Certainly wouldn't turn my nose up to one if the price was right.
Can’t even count the times I wish I had more than the 42. It’s not always feasible to cut from both sides and we get into some big trees.

Latest posts

Back