395xp chop the brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorAxe881

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My old 90s 395xp cuts out and wont run with a brake on just cuts out. if you got the fix advice let me know, but still just gonna detach the brake I know the brakes are more safe than just bein safe but still I think id like it off kinda like an older model 2100cd really focused on your own safety not the machine. like to hear thoughts

Clutch springs or the drum bearing are bad
Or someone has replaced a proper 395 clutch with the older 2100 style one- were the unbraked 2100 clutch bell outer diameter not something like 88mm and the newer 2100/395/288 type 81mm- just off the top of my head without going out and pulling saws apart to measure.

If the clutch drum is free to spin with the engine stopped but locks up to the clutch regardless of how low the idle rpm is, the clutch springs could be too soft. If the clutch drum is NOT free to spin with the engine stopped, the clutch bearing is probably seized to the crank. Is the chain always moving at idle and if you stall the chain in some wood, does the engine stop as well?

yeah the chain likes to spin at idle and if I stop the chain in a log it doesn't shut down like it does engaging the chain brake

Now that's a mystery. Stopping the clutch drum by stalling the chain should be the same as doing it with the brake except that the brake action is sudden whereas the stalling is more gradual. Anyway, should be a problem with the clutch bearing or the clutch springs, If the clutch drum rotates freely with the engine stopped, it's not the bearing. Maybe the brake band is skewing the clutch drum off center enough so that it is rubbing against the clutch hard enough to stall the engine. With the brake on, is it more difficult to pull the engine over than with it off?

Back