3pt pto skidder winch, your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another use for these 3ph pto winches is they are useful (in a pinch) grader blades.

Where I rent when cutting wood has a long gravel road/drive way for access. Farmer had dumped gravel on it but didn't have a blade on her digger/excavator so when I turned up on my tractor after working further down the road and noticed how lumpy it was, I spent about 1/2 hr grading it. Only did so to see how well it would work - but it earned instant brownie points :)

When I eventually get my tractor back to my place (4 hrs away), I'll be doing the same thing to my almost 1000' gravel drive way.

View attachment 281445View attachment 281446View attachment 281447

This is what I made using a Braden hydraulic winch, patterned after a Farmi. Yes it is differant, but I used what I had available and boy what a time saver! It is amazing how much faster it is pulling logs now using a winch cand then skidding the log with the butt end off the ground compared to dragging everything on the dirt. Have noticed also since much less dirt on the bark chains are staying much sharper, longer. This is a BIG bonus! You know yourself no matter what you do you can't get all the dirt off the bark.

The Case version by the looks?

Can't afford not to have one,yes they are pricy but the time saved,clean logs,getting out the tuff one's and the best is the safety when getting down those hangers and downed trees that are tangled up. I should have had one years ago but pricy got one Farmy 501 new,guy tried to put it on 2 PH then got skidder saved $2500 of new price CL deal. I know I didn't do a $400 deal what a buy. You gotta look at it this way when done using sell not too many used out there and those that got them ain't looking to sell. If doing any large amount of wood you can cut time in 1/2 and not much grunt work. GO FOR IT

Whitepine2

Can't afford not to have one,yes they are pricy but the time saved,clean logs,getting out the tuff one's and the best is the safety when getting down those hangers and downed trees that are tangled up. I should have had one years ago but pricy got one Farmy 501 new,guy tried to put it on 2 PH then got skidder saved $2500 of new price CL deal. I know I didn't do a $400 deal what a buy. You gotta look at it this way when done using sell not too many used out there and those that got them ain't looking to sell. If doing any large amount of wood you can cut time in 1/2 and not much grunt work. GO FOR IT

Whitepine2

i'm convinced but there is someone who isn't. wanna take a guess?:hmm3grin2orange:

heres the setup,
i guess its all bolt on, this is the first time its been set up since it was taken off the tractor in the 90's and i was a little kid then..., i just saw the top link on the boom and thought it was used on the 3ph but it just uses the top link not the arms, so its all bolt on... for now

Those LU-4 winches are starting to bring good money to the M37 and M715 restorers. I have one on my M715! They have a brass gear inside and if you aren't careful they can be broke. The brass gear is getting hard if not impossible to find.

Those LU-4 winches are starting to bring good money to the M37 and M715 restorers. I have one on my M715! They have a brass gear inside and if you aren't careful they can be broke. The brass gear is getting hard if not impossible to find.

yup theyre hard to find alright, when mine goes, the worm and the gear will be replace with steel ones, should probably make the parts before it breaks, since it needs to be taken apart anyway (seals leak like a :taped:) i can measure the parts then.

Latest posts

Back