4 stroking/4 cycling a 2 stroke engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Guys I'm new to chain saws but I want to learn. I often hear the term 4 stroking or 4 cycling when tuning a carb. I don't have anyone to physically learn from so I don't understand what I'm listening for. Is this when the engine makes a deeper burbling sound? or am I looking from something else. A sound clip would be great from someone.

Is it the case that 4 stroking is good, or is it that I should aim to set things for just before it starts to 4 stroke? Does any of this depend on the cc of the engine?

When a 2 cycle engine is set rich enough that it just begins to 4 stroke, thats a good thing, mainly because it is then set fairly well.

To give you an idea, Look on Madsens website, they have a clip of a properly idling chainsaw, near the end of the clip, if you listen, you will hear it 4 stroking.

A two stroke engine is four stroking when it is running a too rich hi speed mixture.Like you said burbling is four stroking.So when you adjust your saw,try to keep it JUST a bit leaner away from 4 stroking,you should be pretty close to ideal setting.Its kinda hard to explain setting a saw but thats about it.The cc size doesnt matter.Sorry,i dont have clip movie so you can hear the difference.

what hioctane said applys to my dave neiger modded saw. i get just off that point to get the best results from the saw. this needs to be done carefully tho. u dont want her to sieze on u. jmo

Back