441 and 32-inch bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 32-inch bar that I run on rare occasion on my MS441. The chain that I got with the bar is full skip and it works well. I also have a standard chain that I have never used. Does anyone run a standard chain with that combo and have satisfactory results? If not, would it be advised to just cut off every other cutter, or does that not work well?

"Well" can be very different from person to person.
If I need a 32" a 441 would never cross my mind,it don't oil or have enough power to run it well to me.
I like a ported 441 with a 20" though.

If it's good to you then anybody else's opinion means nothing.

The full comp chain will be harder for it to run and harder on the saw but again if your satisfied with it then run it.

Depends a lot on how you fix a chain and what type of wood.

I have a 32-inch bar that I run on rare occasion on my MS441. The chain that I got with the bar is full skip and it works well. I also have a standard chain that I have never used. Does anyone run a standard chain with that combo and have satisfactory results? If not, would it be advised to just cut off every other cutter, or does that not work well?

I think it depends on the wood. I don't care for skip in hardwood.

Well if you already have the chain then why not just run it and find out? There's a few species that it could work on if they're still green.

The skip chain has worked very well the times that I have used it-hard wood included. I will try the full comp at some point, but was only wondering if anybody had any experience running that combo. I much prefer the 20 and 25-inch bars on that saw, but there are no flies on the 32, either, for occasional big jobs. I used it just this last week to help a guy cut up a giant elm tree and it went well.

Stock 441 saws are common to see 32 inch bars in the pnw ,in softwoods as long as the chain is sharp either will work fine ,back east guys say it wont work ,depends what and where you are cutting .

It'll work, it's just not ideal. I run skip on anything longer than 24" personally...too many cutters to sharpen otherwise.

Back