441 smoked clutch/brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Melampy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
running my 441 RCM 25 inch chisel noodling some 200 year old ash trees up. This tree is truly a match for this saw and right now the tree is winning. Saw died and wouldn't restart. Took off bar and discovered that the sprocket was locked up, guessing it somehow got pinched from all of the noodles from the last few truckloads of wood that I've cut. Put on new bar and chain is spinning at idle. Hit brake and engine dies. Questions: 1. Is this classic case of smoked clutch? and 2. Assuming it is...how hard is it to fix? I am an idiot but I can follow directions...Russ

Change the springs out in the clutch. Did you check the clutch bearing and see if it's free?

When doing lots of noodling you have to clean out the clutch cover regularly. Sometimes in between fueling, depending on the wood

clutch seems to rotate but it seems like there is a squeeky-ness in there....I oiled up the bearing (small 1/2" bearing around the crank?) and it still squeaks, any thing else to look for in the bearing? there is noise there I think. put it back together and ran with bar and chain still spins freely...where do I buy new springs? are they hard to change out? are there stronger or weaker springs? by the way, thanks everyone

Make sure your carb is set properly. If it's too lean on the low setting your chain will spin at idle. If this is not the problem then check eBay for springs, or just go to the dealer and order them. They are not that bad to change.

this is an m-tronic. so I will replace springs and bearing. is there anything else I might need? I will order asap...probably tonight but if not then tomorrow after I speak to the dealer...thanks again guys. russ

is there any reason to remove the actual clutch? like maybe there are "shoes" that wear and may need replaced? or is it just metal to metal? thanks again for all the information and advice. so far I need bearing and springs (and a new e-clip...) I think worm gear is spinning freely around...seems like my dealer should have these parts on hand, right? Russ

Stihl dealer and about $12 for all of them IIRC. Easy to change. Get a bearing if it's squealing, may have burned it up.

Yeah I got the last 2 sets for $1.40 a piece so $6 for 2 sets. Check the idle on the saw also. If the idle is right the springs are probably weak. They may have springs in stock depending on the dealer. They should have the bearing.

went to stihl dealer...they only had the e-clips in stock. had to order three clutch springs and bearing. $30.00+ and I have to wait. I hope this fixes the saw. should I go ahead and remove the clutch or just leave it in and swap springs when they arrive in a few days?

I like to remove the clutch to change springs. Also you can take a good look at things (have a good look at the worm gear especially) and do some cleaning in there.

just replaced the bearing which was locked up and melted to the drum...didn't replace springs. Saw is working perfectly now. Thanks for everyone's help...Russ

Latest posts

Back