455- throwing chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody912

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Friends Husky, no local shop so I brought it home, never worked on outboard clutch before. Shaft seems to have some in/out movement and the spur gear seems out of line with the bar. Spur is chewed up some on the very inside but otherwise OK. there is no movement of the flywheel side of the crank. Have not removed clutch yet, could there be something wrong in the crankcase letting the shaft slide too far out? Seems like too much space to me

Friends Husky, no local shop so I brought it home, never worked on outboard clutch before. Shaft seems to have some in/out movement and the spur gear seems out of line with the bar. Spur is chewed up some on the very inside but otherwise OK. there is no movement of the flywheel side of the crank. Have not removed clutch yet, could there be something wrong in the crankcase letting the shaft slide too far out? Seems like too much space to me
Worn sprocket will cause tight, loose chain problems.

This is a clamshell. So:
1. clutch side crank bearing failure?
2. Bearing cocked in clamshell wells?
3. plastic chassis engine holes wallowed out or bolts loose so whole engine is skewed? - check 4 mounting bolts (underside) for tightness.

This is a clamshell. So:
1. clutch side crank bearing failure?
2. Bearing cocked in clamshell wells?
3. plastic chassis engine holes wallowed out or bolts loose so whole engine is skewed? - check 4 mounting bolts (underside) for tightness.
Plausible, but let's start with a pic of the sprocket, and alignment of everything assembled.

Plausible, but let's start with a pic of the sprocket, and alignment of everything assembled.

I really do not think this saw has many miles on it but when I saw it in action 2 winters ago it was cutting circles, owner thought he needed a new "blade". Chain may be original but it is stretched to the max

Not too familiar with the 455 but is there any type of rim drive swap that can be done?

saw.jpg saw2.jpg

Lower pic is with the chain actually on the sprocket, as soon as I turn it by hand it falls off. Looks to me like alignment is not correct and the sprocket/clutch assembly is just too far from the case. I cam move it in/out about a 1/16" by hand

View attachment 658130 View attachment 658131

Lower pic is with the chain actually on the sprocket, as soon as I turn it by hand it falls off. Looks to me like alignment is not correct and the sprocket/clutch assembly is just too far from the case. I cam move it in/out about a 1/16" by hand
Sprocket shot. Done. Look online to see what a new one looks like. You will see.

View attachment 658130 View attachment 658131

:eek: That thing looks like it’s been cut right down the middle. +1 for new spur/rim setup before even attempting to run that saw

Using index finger, apply pressure to area of the chain (marked in green) at WOT and report back. Could be a cheap fix.

Wearing gloves of course :laugh: Safety first!

037C1863-2B25-4457-88E8-552CF7EB4B49.jpeg

:eek: That thing looks like it’s been cut right down the middle. +1 for new spur/rim setup before even attempting to run that saw
never considered that much of it could be missing! I ran one for 10 yrs on a Stihl that looked better than that. Bar and chain are both crap, think I will tell him to take it to the shop for an overall health check!

Latest posts

Back