4th Annual 'Log to Lumber' program

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a program I've been running here at our tree farm for the local high school shop class. Out of more than 10 high schools within a 20 mile radius, this is the only one that still HAS a shop program due to decreasing budgets and disinterested students. This particular school realizes that not every kid is going to go to college and have developed programs that will hopefully give them an idea of what's out there for career opportunities. Today's class was by far the most enthusiastic group I've had in the 4 years of the program's existence. They were still asking questions and wanting to do more as their shop class instructor was attempting to herd them back into the bus!

Mr 'D', the shop class Instructor, Shawna Meyer, Michigan DNR & Jeff Steinkraus, Forester/Instructor-Steinkraus Forest Management address the class from Climax-Scotts High School Shop class before entering the woodlot. There's a lot for them to absorb in the short 3 hours we're together, but safety in the woodlot is at the top of the list.
12-1.jpg

Forester/Instructor Jeff Steinkraus of Steinkraus Forest Management directs a student from Climax-Scotts High School Shop class in learning one method of determining the diameter of a Cottonwood tree.
12-2.jpg

Another student from the Climax-Scotts High School Shop class learns an alternative method for determining the diameter of a Cottonwood tree. Math is a big part of the forestry and wood products industry, and through these exercises they discover first hand the practical applications of what they learn in the classroom. I was always horrible with math when I was in school because I could never see where I'd use it in real life. Hopefully this opens their eyes a little in regards to that aspect.
12-3.jpg

Students from Climax-Scotts High School Shop class learn how to determine the height of a tree in order to estimate the amount of lumber it may yield. Math application again!
12-4.jpg

Jeff Steinkraus instructs students from Climax-Scotts High School Shop class how to use a Biltmore stick to calculate board footage from a log. I don't need to say it, but I will anyway; there's that math again.
12-5.jpg

A student from Climax-Scotts High School Shop class runs the sawmill to make 1-1/8" thick black cherry boards. A 20 minute safety speech along with gloves, eye protection and hardhats donated by Lowe's punctuate the message that safety is the first and foremost priority.
12-6.jpg

Students turn the log after making the first cut with the sawmill. Enthusiasm and participation was high with these students!
12-7.jpg

After the raw log is sawn on 4 sides to make a square 'cant', another student from the Climax-Scotts High School Shop class takes his turn at the sawmill.
12-8.jpg

4th Annual 'Log to Lumber program, continued

Coffee Break! Our friends from 'Coffee Rescue' provided coffee, hot chocolate, pop and pastries for the participants and instructors. ('Coffee Rescue' is kind of a neat idea. It's not the traditional 'roach-coach' that shows up at the same place every day. These people have a daily route but go to a different set of locations each day so it remains sort of a treat to look forward to once a week. Their truck is a refurbished ambulance!)
With the log now completely sawn, a nice pile of 10" wide black cherry boards awaits use in the Climax-Scotts High School Shop class.
12-9.jpg

The crew! It's always fun to load 'em up on caffeine and sugar then send 'em back to class! LOL!
12-10.jpg

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing with us. I've taken my portable sawmill to schools, but I like the logs to lumber concept much better, especially getting a forester involved. You've inspired me to contact all the woodworking and ag classes in the area to do the same here. Keep up the good work! Could you please advise me on how you handle liability? By the way, I don't recognize the sawmill-- what is it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Outstanding! Thanks for sharing with us. I've taken my portable sawmill to schools, but I like the logs to lumber concept much better, especially getting a forester involved. You've inspired me to contact all the woodworking and ag classes in the area to do the same here. Keep up the good work! Could you please advise me on how you handle liability? By the way, I don't recognize the sawmill-- what is it?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments!

Liability is handled thru our farm policy as we also have a horse boarding operation on the property. There's also some liability assumed by the school. Over-all we take a little risk in the name of the greater good, and do everything we can to NOT put them in a position of getting hurt in the first place. Not to say it couldn't happen, but I've never lived my life in the shadow of Liability Mountain. If it happens, it happens. The farm is encased in 2 separate corporations which may limit liability to some degree to begin with, and we also have the kids' parents sign a liability release form. With that said, any release can be ignored by both a parent and a court, but like I just said, I refuse to live my life in fear of being sued. I do all I can do to drill safe work practices into these kids skulls, keep them out of known unsafe activities and pray a little bit!

The mill is my own, built from scratch. 24HP V-twin, liquid cooled Kawasaki, 36" X 20' log capacity, manually pushed thru the log.

A little over-view of what we do; before they come out to the woodlot, we go into their shop and give them the quick version of forestry and management which takes at least the entire 55 minute class period. I have a 30 page booklet I made up that explains the basics in language they can understand at their level. Jeff, my forester, explains things and expands upon what is in the booklet. At the end of that presentation, I take 10 to 15 minutes to inform them in no uncertain terms exactly what will be expected of them when they come out to the woodlot. If they don't comply, they will be removed from the property, by force if need be, and that too is spelled out in the liability release so there are no surprises to the parents. I am NOT there to baby-sit. In the 4 years of running the program only 1 student has come close to being removed and he was a problem child to begin with.

When they get to the woodlot, we once again go over the woodlot rules before they enter, and yet again before anyone lays a hand on the sawmill. I or Jeff are the only ones that actually fell the tree they choose and the group of students stand behind the skidder while the back cut is made and the tree actually falls. They ARE allowed to witness the notch and bore cuts... most of them has never heard of that method. They do not approach the felled tree until BOTH Jeff and I give them the 'all-clear' to do so. We make sure there is no loose or hanging limbs or other debris which could fall after they approach the fall area. I scope out the area we will be in prior to their arrival to make sure no trees are ready to fall on them and to check for any other hazards. The whole program is set up this way. No one goes anywhere without one of us telling them to do so. And their teacher and 2 other chaperones are there to watch them as well.

The reason I started this whole thing was due to the schools ending their shop programs. Anything I can do to keep these shop classes going is a plus as far as I'm concerned!

If I can help you set up your program in ANY way, don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back