4x4 4x4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
how many of you arb guys rely or need a 4x4 i bought one last august and have only needed it a couple of times so im thinking of selling it...sods law says ill need it once ive sold it......

I have a 4X4, but compromised with a smaller one(by North American standards), a Mazda B4000/Ford Ranger clone with a 4 l engine which still uses plenty of gas. I do not understand people who have huge full size pickups where the heaviest load it ever sees is a 24 of beer. I did need it to get into the back end of a client's pasture last fall, which beat walking in with saws et all. They are handy when you get a heavy snowfall and for smashing your way out of your drive after the plows have passed and put a 3 foot high mound in your path.m I do not envy you having to put petrol in at almost 80p a litre, which is over 2 1/2 times as expensive as it is in Canada. I was in London late January and wa appalled at the price of everything. 20 pounds for hot breakfast???!! A lot of people in Ontario in the tree biz use their 4X4s in the winter to run a snow plowing enterprise.

yes everything is exspensive overhere..if your in afghanistan you will have seen plenty of the 4x4 im driving landrover defender td5 diesel..petrol vehicals are a big no no in the uk ..with the price of feul at 80 pence per liter..i origanly bought the landrover for working in paddocks and general off road stuff also for towing a large dump trailer...but since i bought the vehical it has not seen much work and as you no you cant have kit sitting around so im debateing keeping it or selling it ...what i realy would like is a mercedes unimog:D ..yes breakfast in london can be exspensive and too be honest not very good..compared too north american standards..out of london you would be paying round about £7..what are you doing in the land of the afghans??militery??

4wd is mandatory in tree work, you may use it onl,y twice a year but what would your other choices be those two times? why limit yourself with improper equipment?

If you are dealing with pick-up trucks, or small dump trucks then 4x4 is a must. Not even for dealing with snow. Just for going out into the woods you really need it. I can't think of how many times I used to get my truck stuck just dumping out in the woods. If all you ever do is work on paved areas, then you are fine with 4x2. But if you go onto lawns, or into the woods, or into really muddy areas, then you really need it.

Originally posted by Jumper
They have been called the "G-wagon" by the troops. Too bad we did not have them at the beginning of this endeavour; might have saved a few lives.:angry:

i think g -wagon is what mercedes market this vehicle as,or should i say name it ...what i would likeis its big big brother 15 tonner pto rear and back unimog

I used to pull my chipper with a half ton ford 4x4. It was nice to be able to go pretty much anywhere. Also I have put it in low range, and left the hubs unlocked. That seemed to put less strain on the motor and trans, when manipulating the truck thru tight spots in the yards, without tearing up the grass.

Back