farmertec 660 kit build thinking about moding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRT Ranch adventures

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
not a tree guy or logger or anything but i like to tinker with stuff and build things so i picked up a farmertec ms660 kit and got it all put together a a couple weekends ago. pretty surprised how simple the build was and now even though ive barley used the saw, and its the biggest saw iver ever owned, i kinda want to try porting it. ive never ported a saw before but it was so cheap to get into im not to afraid to experiment with it. i'm also thinking about the 56 mm big bore p/c kit. like i said im no pro just a rancher that likes to tinker, and would appreciate any advise on what i could do to get the best performance out of the saw.

here's a video i made with the first start up

also i decided to put a 36" bar on it because most of the trees i have to cut off fences and such are around 4-8" :cool:

Here's a link to a basic diy for porting. It is relatively simple to do, just be patient and take your time in doing this - be sure to have all your metal shavings/filings/dust etc cleaned up before you get the saw fired back up. Good luck with your tinkering!

https://chainsawnerds.com/woods-port-chainsaw/
Ok so that's pretty basic I should have said in the first post that I'm a machinist with plenty of machines and metrology tools at my disposal so I'm really looking for some basic safe numbers to shoot for or common practices to get started

Im in the same boat as you, I have a 660 clone I dont need and I ported it.
Skip the big bore 56mm. I have one on mine, it took a bunch of work to get it to work good but it's nasty to start, it pulls over stupid hard even with a good oem decomp, saws this big shouldnt have over 200psi of compression and it even has a thick base gasket.
I had to jb weld the intake and add finger ports, the big bore has smaller transfers so it's lacking in that area, the finger ports made a huge difference to it. I only have the bb because im cheap, they're 30 bucks, I wrecked the 54mm jug when I slipped grinding the finger ports.
It's well known the 54mm cylinder works best due to the better transfers and even it gains a bunch with finger ports.
These saws like 95-98 on the exhaust, it's too skinny so it needs more time than most saws, if you add finger ports you cant make it wider as the piston will be backwards with the rings end beside the exhaust.
120-128 on the transfers, they depend on how much you open the lowers up or if you add fingers, if you really hog em out and add fingers you need 128 on the transfers, if you dont touch the lowers 120 is best. It's better to err on the too low side, too high and the saw runs real bad, too low and it just doesnt rev quite as high in the cut as possible.
The intake is small so it likes 80-82 degrees.
My bb has 98 exhaust, 126 transfers and 82 intake, with finger ports and hogged out lowers.

Latest posts

Back