5 saws and 1 blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's what I've fixed so far this week.
1-husqvarna 394xp, carb gasket (did the piston a few months ago)
1-husqvarna 141, chain brake band
1-stihl ms200t, top and hoop handles, brake handle
1-stihl 028, drive sprocket
1-stihl 019t, recoil rope and carb kit
1-echo hand held blower, carb kit..

all these were pretty simple fixes..

left to fix
1-husqvarna 281xp, needs crank seals gasket set, P/C
1-husqvarna 262xp, needs piston ring and carb work (runs, but low compression)
1-stihl 044, needs recoil cover replaced, exhaust hole heli-core, felling dogs put on, rear handle/tank installed
2-stihl br420 blowers, both need cylinder base gaskets
1-mcculoch mac 310, needs to be reasmbled and carb kit
1-craftsman/poulan 2.0 saw, needs reassembled and carb kit
1-craftsman/roper 3.7 saw, needs taken apart, cleaned reassembled and carb kit
1-stihl 026, needs case halfs changed out, cracked oil tank.

To bad I'm not getting paid to do all this, it's all part my personal line up, I do have about 5 more saws coming, a friend in the tree business has them, told me to come get them, he's tired of "tripping over them" ...

Last edited:
Are you sure that 262 will get by with just a ring? I've found those single-ring engine saws to be real temperamental when it comes to compression loss. I had a 262 with low compression and the piston looked perfect (even still had most of the machine marks.) It had just worn enough to point where the tolerances were lost and a new ring didn't make a darn bit of difference.

Are you sure that 262 will get by with just a ring? I've found those single-ring engine saws to be real temperamental when it comes to compression loss. I had a 262 with low compression and the piston looked perfect (even still had most of the machine marks.) It had just worn enough to point where the tolerances were lost and a new ring didn't make a darn bit of difference.
I really don't know, the cylinder looks good there's no scoring at all, if it were yours what would you do, would you do a piston & ring or piston & cylinder..

nice thats a good line up you got there
thanks, I've got to get them all fixed before my lawn care season starts the end of February or they'll be on the shelf for months...

Last edited:
If it were mine I'd do the piston and ring. The one I had before looked mint inside but only had about 80psi. The piston and ring were spotless. It wasn't until I mic'ed out the piston that I discovered it had worn down in certain points and was out of round.

If it were mine I'd do the piston and ring. The one I had before looked mint inside but only had about 80psi. The piston and ring were spotless. It wasn't until I mic'ed out the piston that I discovered it had worn down in certain points and was out of round.
I'll go with the piston & ring then, I'm thinking I should very lightly hone the cylinder, right..I think it's next, maybe..

Back