50 dollar saw, and it runs too!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpotatohead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Picked this thing up today. Compression seems a bit low, the starter rope seems really easy to pull for a SXL, but that can be deceiving as we all know. But this thing runs good, and re-starts easy enough once warmed up! 20" bar, I am guessing original? Crack in the air filter housing, but still functional as of now, will make good shop décor, and a good addition to my display at the local antique tractor/equipment shows.

0722171344.jpg

Easy enough to pull the piston and see how she looks. TONS of parts still available for these.

Yeah, but, so long as it runs as good as it does I will not lose any sleep over it... but will be keeping my eyes peeled! (A compression check will be in order soon however.)

Looks like a clean saw. Nice score.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I don't get too caught up on compression, as long as it starts easily and seems to have the power that it should I run it.

Looks like a clean saw. Nice score.
Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks! It is a fairly clean saw. Factory decals still in tact.

I don't get too caught up on compression, as long as it starts easily and seems to have the power that it should I run it.

Me neither, like I said above, as long as it keeps running the way it does, I won't lose any sleep over it. I will do a compression check just to see where it is at, and possibly scrape up some parts if I find a good enough deal. But, even if it has low compression, it won't feel the wrath of my wrenches until it starts misbehaving!

Hmm, the old mower is in better shape than I thought..

Lol!

Old Poulans are reed valve engines so they'd be similar to the Homelites, I imagine 120 or so would be just fine.

Mine is at 125. I took the muffler off and noticed a line down one side of the cylinder. Turns out it was a stain as if the rings are not touching the cylinder there, and a small irregular scratch mark on the piston opposite side of the line in the cylinder. Makes me wander if someone had this thing apart and didn't index the ring gaps correctly causing the small line in the cylinder, and that could be a screwdriver mark on the piston were they were trying to get it together.

No. I have only Homelites.

Thanks anyway!

Just an update to those interested;

Ran my Super XL quite a bit the other day. Makes good power, and will easily handle a bigger bar than the 20" on it. I imagine 24" would be no problem especially with skip chain. Maybe even a 28" bar if using skip chain and good sprocket nose bar.

However, when you would turn it on it's side, bar side down, as in position to fall a tree, it would run so rich, with smoke everywhere, barely able to cut, then you could place it in upright position or other side, and it would clear up. Come to find out, fuel was leaking between the fuel line and tank due to hardened fuel line shrinking, then running down the outside of the line, and into the air filter/carburetor cavity and choking the motor with fuel. So it will need new fuel line and filter.

I also ran the serial numbers. It is a 1989 SXL "AO," electronic ignition, produced on the 240th day of the year, 29th unit produced that day.

Latest posts

Back