511A Grinder - Improvements / Tweaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took me a fair bit, but I just finished reading this thread. Lots of good stuff.

I do have one question. I've been using a Oregon 410-120 for a couple years, and just swapped to a 511 copy.

Anyway. I've always used the 10 degree tilt on the bottom of the Oregon and now I'm wondering if I've been doing it wrong. I've always tilted the teeth in towards the center. Is that correct?

This post by Cider helped me a lot. I was having the same issue with the cutters "rising" when setting the chain aginst the stop..... put on the higher pawl and boom! Problem gone! Thanks, Cider!

Hi Colonel428. I initially found that the chain moved slightly as the vice closed, but when I adjusted the vice gap knob to the "0" position I found that removed any slop between the free and clamped position so that problem went away for me.

The pawl issue is a bit tricky to describe. The 'standard' pawl sits low and therefore more horizontally. I found pulling the chain back against it, even gently, actually caused the tooth to rotate slightly around the tip of the pawl and up and away from the vice by a couple of mm. it doesn't totally make sense, but that's what was happening. The taller pawl contacts the chain more vertically and doesn't lift it at all, I can pull the chain back against it easily and there's no vertical movement. I really don't understand the need for two versions of this mechanism, but I haven't tried it with anything smaller than 3/8" chain, perhaps the larger pawl is no good with smaller chains?

I'm still not really sure what the fore and aft vice position adjustment achieves, I'm tempted to engineer a way to lock this in as it is too easy to slip out of position when swivelling the vice. It seems to me that the secret to minimal cutter wastage is the precise repeatability of all angles.

It would also be great if there was a way to dial in equal left and right cutter lengths, but I can't see how to do this. Like many others I reckon there's about a quarter turn difference between the two?

Took me a fair bit, but I just finished reading this thread. Lots of good stuff.

I do have one question. I've been using a Oregon 410-120 for a couple years, and just swapped to a 511 copy.

Anyway. I've always used the 10 degree tilt on the bottom of the Oregon and now I'm wondering if I've been doing it wrong. I've always tilted the teeth in towards the center. Is that correct?
Think about how a file would be positioned for the 10° ‘down angle’, then rotate the file/tooth combination so that the file is level.

To me that means tilting the cutters ‘away’ from the center, but people use different terms, whether referring to the cutters or the base of the vise.

Philbert

Using the drill to spin the motor in the other direction will work but you have to be over the "start speed" for the motor to keep going in the opposite direction.

The other alternative is to add a reversing switch to the motor windings. While this is possible, the start wires are pretty fine and working inside the motor can be a bit close.

reverse.jpg

I did not create the illustration, but I can confirm that it works as I modified my Carlton and no-name grinders using this method. The reddish rocker switch is the reversing switch.

DSCN4569.jpg

DSCN4568.jpg

Mark

Great ideas. Love to see some photos!

A few years back someone posted instructions for making the motor reversible - anybody got it?

Somebody suggested that if they increased the range of motion for the head tilt and vise, you could grind both Left and Right cutters the 'right way' without a reversing motor, and the guarding problems associated with that.

Philbert
i just figured out today how to reverse rotate my new Oregon 520-120. had to install a second switch, but it works. will post some pics and a video maybe of it when i get her put back together,,,,,,,,,if you still need it?

i have everything written down, just need to do a lil video of it,,,,,,,maybe tomorrow, if i have time. that one diagram above is close but it's a little bit off. was enough for me to see it in my head and do it right. finished making the plates today to mount both switches. it came out so nice!!!!!! AND works great!!! old school is almost always better

Attachments

• 467731-062f56ecab32c494080331fdcc0b28c1 (1).jpg
    467731-062f56ecab32c494080331fdcc0b28c1 (1).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • img001 (3).jpg
    img001 (3).jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 0
  • img001 (2).jpg
    img001 (2).jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back