55 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been curious, how my 55 Rancher would cut with a .325 chain and 18" bar. Instead of the 20" bar 3/8 chain that it came with.

Baileys has Carlton bar chain combos for $19.99, so I thought I would try it.
Got it yesterday but by the time I fed the cows it was dark.
Bar looks good, I did not like the made in Taiwan sticker though.

I am not familiar with Carlton chain numbers but it came with a loop of K1NK BL72 I suspect it is not as aggressive as I want.
I thought K1NK is a strange way to start a chain number out, I know it is K1 but it looks like kink.

Dan

Hi danl, The 20" 3/8 is definitely on the edge of the 55R's capability. The .325 chain that you got is a .050 gauge narrow kerf 72 link. I don't know what the BL stands for.
K - .325 Pitch
1 - .050 Gauge
NK - Narrow Kerf
72 - Drive Links

You should notice a big difference with the .325 chain. I don't know if I would have gone narrow kerf though.

danl said:
I have been curious, how my 55 Rancher would cut with a .325 chain and 18" bar. Instead of the 20" bar 3/8 chain that it came with.

Baileys has Carlton bar chain combos for $19.99, so I thought I would try it.
Got it yesterday but by the time I fed the cows it was dark.
Bar looks good, I did not like the made in Taiwan sticker though.

I am not familiar with Carlton chain numbers but it came with a loop of K1NK BL72 I suspect it is not as aggressive as I want.
I thought K1NK is a strange way to start a chain number out, I know it is K1 but it looks like kink.

Dan

How many teeth on the .325 rim? I'm assuming you had a 3/8-7 on before. .325-8 with an 18" bar should cut nice on that saw.

Dan, Did you remember to replace the 3/8" sprocket with a .325. The only reason that I ask is you did not mention it in your post.

I don't know how many teeth are on the sprocket, I will have to count tonight. I ordered a .325 small spline sprocket when I ordered the bar and did not pay attention.
I kind of think 7 though, did I mess up?
Dan

Hello Scott D I just ordered some Stihl parts from you yesterday, I thought your id
retoocs555 looked familiar.
Thanks for getting back to me fast on ebay also.

Dan aka 57danl

Latest posts

Back